Discuss Communal heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peanutbutter

Hi

I am renting a flat with a communal heating system. The boiler is gas fired and was new in the summer. The flat is on the ground floor (the only one) and it has old iron radiators (building is pre-war). The is no temperature control apart from valves on the radiators. The flat was lovely and warm but just before Xmas I noticed it started to get cold. All the radiators were warm at the top and cold at the bottom. I was away at Xmas and when I came back the radiators were at most lukewarm or cold even though the valves were fully opened.

I informed my landlord and the heating maintenance "engineer" came round who bleed the rads but there was no air in them. This did not cure the problem so he came round again and did the same then starting banging the pipes with a hammer.

The rads are still cold however the rising pipes (two in different locations in the apartment) are very hot and the return two return pipes are warm. The rads are fed off these individually but each pipe feeding the top of the rad is cold and the pipe to the bottom is lukewarm.

The heating company has now told the landlord that it is problem with the rads valves and that to fix the problem they have to drain the whole system which they are not willing to do until the summer.

The apartment is in Paris but I am from the UK and my french is not good so I am not sure I am being spun a line. I cannot believe that all the valves broke at the same time. Any thoughts? (apart from move back to UK - work!)

Thanks

Tom

hard to say without knowing the system design, i dont think the valves are the problem unless the system was reconfigured when the boiler was changed making the valves unsuitable

Ground floor flat so could be sludge in the system might need to flush it out. Have the rising pipes you're talking about (ie.the flow and return from the communal heating system) got isolation valves on them?

System needs balancing. Someone upstairs may have opened the lockshields stealing heat from your rads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Communal heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock