Search the forum,

Discuss Combining feed and vent piping from F and E tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

It would save me a lot of faff if it was acceptable to combine the feed and vent in the manner shown in diagram below.
Or should I resort to separate pipes for each, as small sketch.

Boiler is Potterton Suprima

cent_heat Layout.jpgright way.jpg

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks

Rudy

No worries buddy. The only thing I will say about that particular design is sometimes it can prove problematic filling the system from empty and displacing the air

I always make sure the cold feed is sloping slightly upwards on the 'horizontal' part of the pipework towards the F&E tank, to ensure the air escapes. There's then no real need for a vent pipe back into the tank (saves pipe, insulation and the faff of cutting the lid.

It would save me a lot of faff if it was acceptable to combine the feed and vent in the manner shown in diagram below.
Or should I resort to separate pipes for each, as small sketch.

Boiler is Potterton Suprima

View attachment 44993View attachment 44994

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks

Rudy
In my opinion, you would be better to pipe it correctly if you can do.

1597679661934.png

[automerge]1597680207[/automerge]
Given there's not a check valve in the outlet of the F&E tank I've never understood the need to the vent.
Primary open safety vent.
The purpose of the primary open safety vent is to provide a safety outlet should the system overheat due to component failure and ensure that the system is kept safely at atmospheric pressure. The minimum diameter of the safety vent is 22 mm and the pipe should never be valved. In a fully pumped system, the primary open safety vent should usually rise to a minimum height of 450 mm above the water level in the F&E cistern. This allows for any pressure surge effects created by the pump. The open safety vent also aids the removal of any air that the system might collect, particularly on commissioning or refilling.
(Level 2 Plumbing Pearson Schools and FE Colleges)

Last edited:
I always make sure the cold feed is sloping slightly upwards on the 'horizontal' part of the pipework towards the F&E tank, to ensure the air escapes. There's then no real need for a vent pipe back into the tank (saves pipe, insulation and the faff of cutting the lid.

The continuous rise will help with displacing the less dense air for sure mate. And yes I have seen systems without the vent over hanging the cistern. As long as there's an unrestricted and suitably sized pipe it will work fine.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I will go with the combined method (with inclined feed pipe) for now and see how it works out.
I do however have a question on the "traditional right way" as Last Plumber reccommended. What difference does it make if the feed enters the pipe to pump from the bottom rather than top?
[automerge]1597767805[/automerge]
I think I have the answer to my own question....so that any transient air bubbles escape through the vent rather than feed..

Last edited:
The loop you mention is to limit the amount of heat lost up the cold feed.
Sealed systems can still sludge up if not installed properly and without the neccessary means to vent trapped air and dissolved oxygen within the water

Agree with improper installation especially the expansion vessel which is often installed with the filling pressure equal to the pre charge pressure thus leaving no reserve and leading to frequent top ups but also encouraging IMO,that friend of the rad manufacturers, the Auto fill PRV where one has no idea of any developing leak.
Of course the same can be said of the F&E tank with ballcock fill, I have a isolating valve on mine and keep this permanently shut except to check for any leaks by opening it a few times per year and in over 40 years I have yet yo hear it adding a drop of water, strange?. I also have a combined cold feed and vent installed when new, the vent is carried on up over the tank, I still have some of my original installed rads.

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent..JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent..JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Combining feed and vent piping from F and E tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock