Discuss combined and seperate drainage question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWheating

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
i know that its not allowed to connect a foul to surface water for obvious reasons of contamination, but does anybody know if theres anything in the regulations stopping you connecting surface to foul?

On new build it should be seperate system because building control will want to witness any test. On existing you could probably get away with it unless building control was involved, but dont quote me on it, check the regs

i know that its not allowed to connect a foul to surface water for obvious reasons of contamination, but does anybody know if theres anything in the regulations stopping you connecting surface to foul?

We have just that in our village on all older properties. On the new estate this is separated. Who knows the water board might like a bit of freshish water down the works to help things through?

as far as i know the only issue could be the design of the drain not be able to cope with the rainwater (which is highly unlikey from one small sized house)

the reason why im asking is because my brothers house has two surface water gulleys for his rwp's, because of the bad weather every time it rains for over an hour these gulleys flood. 1st time it happend it caused £8000 worth of damage inside the house, each time since he has managed to get the fire service to come and pump it down the road for him.

the drain floods because the main surface sewer system in his street cant cope with the rainfall from the farm land to the side of his street. His drains are the lowest on the system so he gets flooded. The orignal plan was to fit non returns, but that would leave the surface water off his roof no where to go when it rains, so im thinking of connecting to the foul which is not effected by the surface water system and either capping or venting the surface.

That'll be clause B66, prevention of an emergency situation, that'll be o.k then to divert the surface water, honest Guv.

Of course the surface that was coming up might still want to do so even if you cap it.

as far as i know the only issue could be the design of the drain not be able to cope with the rainwater (which is highly unlikey from one small sized house)

the reason why im asking is because my brothers house has two surface water gulleys for his rwp's, because of the bad weather every time it rains for over an hour these gulleys flood. 1st time it happend it caused £8000 worth of damage inside the house, each time since he has managed to get the fire service to come and pump it down the road for him.

the drain floods because the main surface sewer system in his street cant cope with the rainfall from the farm land to the side of his street. His drains are the lowest on the system so he gets flooded. The orignal plan was to fit non returns, but that would leave the surface water off his roof no where to go when it rains, so im thinking of connecting to the foul which is not effected by the surface water system and either capping or venting the surface.

Id rather have it connected up knowing it can get away than paddling in it, building control need never know.

By the way, I design and build land drainage schemes!

That'll be clause B66, prevention of an emergency situation, that'll be o.k then to divert the surface water, honest Guv.

Of course the surface that was coming up might still want to do so even if you cap it.

to be honest it will likely pass the problem to somebody else further down but thats life sadly :(

Id rather have it connected up knowing it can get away than paddling in it, building control need never know.

By the way, I design and build land drainage schemes!

my bro had asked his local authority about it and they just said its down to water board to answer. Ive told him not to speak to anybody about it ie. keep stum! :)

the farmer/water board seems to need your services. :)

Last edited:
now is too late , he has asked and they probably will come later to check on him , but isnt he taking them to court for the 8k damage already ?

now is too late , he has asked and they probably will come later to check on him , but isnt he taking them to court for the 8k damage already ?

hes even had his MP down to look at the damage he and his neighbours suffered, one suffer'd £70,000 in damages to a £150,000 house :( but that was not related to the drains but just the water flow off the farm land.

His insurance company paid out and its in there hands as far as i know.

my brother has said to the water board that there drains cant cope with the amount of water, and they have said its the farmers fault as its the water off his land that causes the problem. In other words passing the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to combined and seperate drainage question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock