Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Combi or Unvented or Something Else??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyinthevalley

Hi
I am an ex-plumber who hasn't been anywhere near a system for 5 years so need a little help with what I expect is a common question...
I need to replace the heating system in my house. Current system is a vented Thorn EMI boiler fitted approximately 1983. The house has 1 bath, 2 showers, 3 WCs, 14 radiators. Having removed a few cold water tanks in my time and witnessed the gunge that can build up, I have a strong preference for removing the 2 cold water tanks (3 tanks if you count the header tank) in the loft. So, do I go for a powerfull combi system or an unvented system?
I have been recommended a Remeha/Broag 39kw combi but I am sceptical that the flow rate will be sufficient for 2 mixer showers and other appliances in the house at the same time. Any and all advice appreciated.

A 39Kw combi will cope with 2 outlets at once if flow restrictors are fitted. You could look at a Worcester Highflow 440 or Rinnai twinflow. If you've got the room and your pressure and flow rates are good I would go unvented every time though.

Mike

Thanks Mike

Unvented does seem to be the popular choice on most of the threads on this forum when considering a larger house. However, is the cost of installation not considerably greater than a combi? I also have to consider that the hot water cylinder currently in place would have to be replaced with a larger unit as it seems too small.

The installation costs aren't going to be hugely more expensive than a really good high flow combi. Another option to think about is to use a smaller combi, run the kitchen hot water off it and use an unvented for the rest of the hot water needs. Just need to fit an S plan.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi or Unvented or Something Else??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock