Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Combi boiler advice for 19 rads ? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. pilot1701

pilot1701 New Member

hello
    We have a large 4 bed house with 19 radiators of various sizes and one immersion tank fed shower I am thinking of converting the large airing cupboard ( 4x1 meters ) to a on-suite and I would be looking to move or do away with the tank , I am reading in various places that the combi is not going to do it with that many rads , and am wondering if that is true ? and if so does anyone have other suggestions , the on -suite shower will be electric .
    thank you in advance
    Bryan

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Problem is not the radiators mate. It is the hot water demand. You can remove the old airing cupboard and cylinder and fit an unvented cylinder instead. (Garage or loft maybe?)

• Like Like x 2
  3. pilot1701

pilot1701 New Member

Thanks for your reply , plenty of room in the loft , the hot water demand will only be for the main shower , at the moment it is only two of us , but as the oil (perhaps I should have said that in the first post , there is no gas here ) boiler is quite old we need to upgrade that first before moving on to doing the bathroom / on -suite
    thank you

4. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You'll be fine with a combi, as harvest fields says, rads aren't the issue, hot water demand is, but a high powered combi will cope with the demand from 1 bathroom and an en-suite.

5. pilot1701

pilot1701 New Member

ok thank you
    any combi oil boiler recommendations , make / output etc ?

6. Craig Watson

Worcester, Grant, firebird, but I don't have much experience with oil to be honest with you. Some guys on here will be able to recommend better than I can so just hold on till they reply.

7. Harvest Fields

I wouldn’t fit a combi in a 4 bed and most of the lads on here will probably tell you the same mate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Craig Watson

Why? 4 bed has no relevance to the hot water usage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Harvest Fields

It does if you extend and add another bathroom. Or end up with 3 kids. You will thank me in the long run. Or try to run a tap and a shower at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

For me it depends only on how many bathrooms and people live in that property

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. pilot1701

pilot1701 New Member

ok , allow me to expand my details , it's a four bed with just two adults at the moment , so we have one kitchen , one utility , one downstairs bathroom with electric shower , one upstairs bathroom with hot supply from immersion tank shower , the on suite will be a electric shower , whilst I think understand what Harvest is saying , that if the shower is going and someone turns on a hot ? tap it wont be able to cope ? is that right Harvest ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Craig Watson

That's what he's saying yes and if you installed a 28kw combi which gives you around 11 litres a minute then it would be a problem. But a 35kw firebird enviromax has hot water flow rates over 20 litres a minute which is great. If your going to have 2 electric showers and one fed from the boiler then hot water flow won't be an issue for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. John.g

John.g Member

Grant do a 36 Kw Combi (also a 26KW), both have a 32 litre hot water store, the 36 kw should give a sustained 15 LPM and more if the stored water is "added on", the 26 Kw should give ~ 11 LPM (more if store is taken into account).
    In this part of the world the Grant has a better name than the Firebird but I think Firebird have now addressed most of their problems, the SE Firebird was a outstanding boiler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Don't fit an oil combi for more than one bathroom.

Hounsfield heat only boiler plus rm unvented cylinder if pressures and flow suffice.

15. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Duplicate

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Assuming the mains is up to it