Discuss cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you have is a regular pumped Y plan system, these are very common. Your problem is not so common though, every system is full of air when it gets filled but 9/10 are vented easily. So lets hope for your sake it is not drawing in air or air catching somewhere.

Ok Guys,
I have done exactly as described by Paul and still something not quite right.
My kitchen rad has a lockshield with bleed valve on return and wheel type on flow. I have shut off both valves, put bucket under bleed valve opened bleed and no water has come out!! but if i open the flow valve water starts flowing out lovely and the hot water starts coming thru the flow pipe....rad then starts warming up. Filled about half a bucket shut off flow valve and refilled the F+E tank. There were small small splutters of air so did the same thing 2-3 times more by opening the flow valve again.
Now with the flow valve off i open the lockshield fully and open the bleed valve............a trickle of water coming out!!!!
BLOCKAGE?????? As i am writing this the bleed valve is open fully and the water is still trickling out.

1 more thing.
Thought i would try the rad with the heating on again.
Shut all other rads off at there lockshields, turned on the heating, boiler fired and lasted for about 60 seconds then went off. Boiler fired again a further 2-3 times then eventually cut out on the boiler overheat thermostat. Could this be due to the blockage there is a build up of heat at the blockage and circulation is affected????

Ok Guys,
I have done exactly as described by Paul and still something not quite right.
My kitchen rad has a lockshield with bleed valve on return and wheel type on flow. I have shut off both valves, put bucket under bleed valve opened bleed and no water has come out!! but if i open the flow valve water starts flowing out lovely and the hot water starts coming thru the flow pipe....rad then starts warming up. Filled about half a bucket shut off flow valve and refilled the F+E tank. There were small small splutters of air so did the same thing 2-3 times more by opening the flow valve again.
Now with the flow valve off i open the lockshield fully and open the bleed valve............a trickle of water coming out!!!!
BLOCKAGE?????? As i am writing this the bleed valve is open fully and the water is still trickling out.

is the pump on?

1 more thing.
Thought i would try the rad with the heating on again.
Shut all other rads off at there lockshields, turned on the heating, boiler fired and lasted for about 60 seconds then went off. Boiler fired again a further 2-3 times then eventually cut out on the boiler overheat thermostat. Could this be due to the blockage there is a build up of heat at the blockage and circulation is affected????

heat not getting round, is pump working? rad vales open? valves on pump open? history of sludge?

pump is working,
rad valves open,
no history of sludge as far as i am aware, only been in the house 18 months.
heating on, pump running, open bleed valve on return...just a trickle of water coming out. Rad has a new valve aswell.

dont vent when pump is on, make sure its off or could actually suck air in

make sure vales is open, sometimes if new and dpendant on type the washer can be stuck on seating, leaves valves shut, take off rad and slowly open valves to check

Do you have microbore pipe anywhere? 10mm or less.(Sorry, but I couldnt be bothered reading 10 pages!)

Pump switched off.
Closed both valves on rad and removed the rad in question. Opened flow valve and get a good flow of water.
Open lockshield valve and only a trickle, there is nothing wrong with the valve as i have actually tried it on another rad when i fitted a TRV.
I'm just convinced now that it is a blockage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock