Search the forum,

Discuss Cold house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved into my present 1990-built home just over a yearago. A British Gas (Potterton) non-condensingboiler was installed a year or so before I bought the property. All the rads have TRVs and there wasoriginally just a time-switch for boiler control. Despite recently installing a programmablethermostat in place of the time switch, I am finding it impossible to maintaina comfortable temperature in many parts of the property without leaving theheating on permanently. In frostyweather, even if I set the low temperature limit at 18degC it takes hours toget back above 20degC when the thermostat changes the set point.

Using an IR thermostat, I have found that the boiler flowtemperature is set at around 60degC. Iam guessing that this is because the return temperature is around 54degC. There is only around 5degC drop across therads even with the pump set to its slow speed. Am I right in thinking that the radiators would be more effective with a higher flow temperature?

I’m looking for advice :eek:. Is my short-term solution to increase the flow temperature and take ahit on boiler efficiency and my longer-term solution to fit bigger rads, or arethere other solutions?

Do the radiators get hot?
If the boiler is 2 years old it should be condensing

Increasing temp of rads will increase output. Difference between room temp and rad temp known as Delta T. At the moment your Delta T is approx 40. Increasing flow temp by 10 degrees to get Delta 50 will increase radiator output by 25%. You will also experience a greater difference in flow and return across rads.

Last edited:
Sorry - My mistake. I should have read what I had written more carefully. Of course, it's a CONDENSING boiler.
Yes, the radiators are hot. Approximately 60degC in and 55degC out.

Thanks Joni OS. I'd read that a 70degC flow was more likely the temperature I should have at the boiler and understood that the rad outputs were specified at this temperature but didn't know that the rad flow-return temperature differential would be different with a higher flow temperature.

Once you have upped the temperature, I would suggest giving the system a balance. There is a thread for it but I don't have the link currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return temperature to the boiler are less than 55 degrees to ensure condensing is occurring. But in the service menu it only shows the primary heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
Jaga radiators (with heat-exchangers) have their own small fans, that "will modulate down when the room temperature is met – the room temperature is measured by a sensor at the base of the radiator", says Jaga. How does this coordinate with a standard room-thermostat, which of course shuts off...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Vokera 15 vhe boiler and all has been running well for the last 6 months since moving in up until a few weeks a go. Boiler throws up a flashing 79 code. Try restarting the boiler straight away but I have to wait 10 minutes for it to cool down before it works. I reset the boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock