Search the forum,

Discuss (co) bigger killer now or 20 years ago in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but general CO suicides, are not included in the Advantica stat's.
Incorrect ! the biggest cause of CO deaths in this country are suicides. In the UK in 2012 there where over 6000 suicides, by far the most used method was CO poisoning

Last edited:
Incorrect ! the biggest cause of CO deaths in this country are suicides. In the UK in 2012 there where over 6000 suicides, by far the most used method was CO poisoning
Obviously not by sticking your head in the oven.
Hose in the car window will do that one so it is highly unlikely to be included in any Advantica reports.

I did read them and the comment was about Advantica collated gas related incidents which obviously doesn't cover some unfortunate who can't pay their bills topping themselves in the garage.
Advantica used to collate the information but it has now seemingly been passed to the Cross Government Group on Gas Safety and Carbon Monoxide Awareness.
Suicides, however they are carried out, do not fall into this category.
Read http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/cross-government-group-1011.pdf
The relevant information is near the end.

Hate them too, fires are a grey area in my opinion. Got the new next book the other day and they are selling bioethonol fires. Apparently clean burning does not need vent or flue. That's a accident waiting to happen

NICRO3 you have misunderstood my post. I was refering to Advantica Stats only, which is for CO poisoning on piped gas only.

As I understand it there are 3 different types of fatality from CO poisoning:
1. Deliberate CO poisoning (eg suicide & murder)
2. In a fire (house fire forest fire etc)
3. Accidental - In the US they estimate about 1/3rd of accidental are due to domestic gas systems often heating appliances.

Accidental also includes things like using petrol powered machinery/generators in enclosed spaces (apparently that is a big problem in US).

I think the charity CO Gas Safety
gather the most comprehensive stats on accidental CO poisoning here.
They include accidental poisoning from any fuel not just gas.
Last time I looked their data was better than hse/riddor and I know their data is generally used by official (government) bodies.

Hmm! Would not argue with training and certification but with the cost of it all. It seems silly to have to pay such high prices for ACS and Gas Safe registration which are basically all about safety matters whose costs are then passed on to the customers, raising the cost of living for all. And as said it does not seem to have raised the safety level very much.

I was reading through some mails and it appears to me, that the users seem to be to blame in many instances. I would say that it is inevitable when they usually know nothing much about gas safety. To me concentrating information just on GSR workers is plain silly. Its a bit like a car company making a car and not telling people how to use it and why they must use it in a certain way. Lets be honest, do people really realise how dangerous CO can be? The installer is not usually the person using appliances the majority of the time. I have been in houses where the fire front radiant's have been glowing a nice bright yellow, to find that the home owner or tenant thought there was nothing wrong. After all, its the user the gas regs are designed to protect not the installer, why keep them ignorant of how things work and what and why to look out for, it is after all usually their lives at risk not the installers?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many CO incidents which involve poor installation and or not serviced properly. Which is why public have a right and confidence that the gas fitter working in their home knows what he is doing and is safe to carry out the work, Hence GSR and ACS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to (co) bigger killer now or 20 years ago in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock