Search the forum,

Discuss (co) bigger killer now or 20 years ago in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompsonbrown

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
WITH ALL THE REGULATIONS IN PLACE THESE DAYS, WE MUST BE SAFER NOW. AS YOU WILL SEE FROM THE (CO) CHART AT THE BOTTOM WITH ALL THE SAFER DESIGNS OF BOILERS ALL THE CONTROLLING BODIES, BELOW SMOKE ALARMS LESS OPEN FIRES HAVE WE ACHIEVED ANYTHING BY BEING GAS REGISTERED

THERE ARE OVER 200000 ROAD ACCIDENTS AND OVER 2000 DEATHS IN THE UK EVERY YEAR

THERE ARE AROUND 30 DEATHS PER YEAR DUE TO (CO) POISONING IN THE UK THESE FIGURES HAVE NOT CHANGED PER YEAR SENSE GAS REGULATION WAS MADE COMPULSORY

YET EVERY YEAR WE ARE INSPECTED HAVE TO PAY ALMOST £200 AND HAVE THE PLEASURE OF RE-TRAINING EVERY 5 YEARS COSTING OVER £1000 WITH GAS APPLIANCES BECOMING SAFER EVERY YEAR DO WE REALLY NEED TO TO LEARN THE SAME THING.

WITH OVER 1000 PEOPLE KILLED DUE TO ELECTRICAL FIRES EVERY YEAR AND NOW CHANGING THE RULES TO ALLOW ANYBODY TO CARRY OUT ELECTRICAL WORK IT JUST DON'T MAKE SENSE... WELL NOT TO ME ANY WAY.

TRY TO READ SOME OF THE GOVERNMENT PROPOSAL

The British Standard that sets out the fundamental principles for achieving safety,
Independent third party checking of design proposals and work carried out by either a Local Authority or a licensed private sector organisation Approved Inspector)
The Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010- allows local authorities to bring in external expertise and capability, and to vary building control fees when inspecting installations,
Building Regulations RevieDCLG is currently reviewing the Building Regulations, including Part P. The consultation closes on 27 April 2012, after which the final proposals will be published.
Competent Persons Scheme A scheme introduced by the Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations
DCLG - the Department for Communities and Local Government
ECA -The Electrical Contractors Association
ELECSA - ECA Certification Limited.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSR0
Gas Industry Safety Group (GISG) - Formed in 2002, the Gas Industry Safety Group encourages co-operation between the main UK gas industries, to promote best practice and providing a forum to promote gas safety.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - The HSE is a Non-Departmental Public Body with Crown status, established under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It has responsibility for enforcing the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) - A standard by which the adequacy of housing can be measured.
LABC Local Authority Building Control
NAPIT The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers.

NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) is the United Kingdom's largest private sector building control body. It is authorised by DCLG to operate a Part P Competent Person Scheme.
Notifiable work -Work that is deemed notifiable, as stated in Approved Document P, must be notified to the relevant Local Authority's Building Control (LABC) department. If the work is carried out by a registered electrical contractor (also known as a 'competent person')
Part J -Part J of the Building Regulations covers the safe installation and use of combustion appliances, including boilers.
Part P - Part P of schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2000 is the sole specific legal framework that covers the safety of electrical installations in the home.
P1. Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and
Risk Based Assessment (RBA) An approach to vetting Competent Persons favoured by several scheme operators, where the vetting extent is based upon a risk-based analysis of the Competent Persons performance and quality controls. RBA would allow Part P scheme
Section 4 of the Defective Premises Act 1972 - There is liability in negligence on the part of the landlord for death or personal injury arising
UKAS accreditation The United Kingdom Accreditation Services (UKAS) is the sole national accreditation body recognised by the Government to assess, against internationally agreed standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services. According to NICEIC, UKAS accreditation for NICEIC and ECA Domestic Installer Scheme works out as a cost of £30 per da
Phil Buckle, from the Electrical Safety Council, agreed, and he cited the recent statistics: "Fires attributed to mains wiring—that is, after the distribution system—have declined by 17.5% from 1,057 in 2004 to 872 in 2008. It has had a significant impact on safety"
PROPOSED CHANGES TO PART P
The DCLG consultation document issued in January 2012 outlined possible changes to the Building Regulations regime, and set out the options for amending Part P in 2013, to:
revoke Part P; and

amend Part P, to reduce the costs and burdens it imposes on installers, building control bodies and consumers.

The third option of amending Part P is the Government's preferred option because, in the Government's view, "it would significantly reduce the cost to business of Part P in a way that continues to deliver the health and safety benefits sought" The proposed reduction in costs would be achieved by:
making a greater proportion of electrical installation jobs non-notifiable and
allowing DIYers and other unregistered installers (firms not registered with a Part P Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme) to employ a third party qualified electrician to inspect and test their work as an alternative to using a building control body.
Competent Person Schemes For an organisation to run a Competent Person Scheme (CPS), it has to meet stringent criteria.
COSTS OF BECOMING A COMPETENT PERSON SCHEME
Maintaining approval with an authorised body along with admin costs would come to typically £800-1,000 per annum,
The DCLG memorandum described the process of registering with a Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme, such as NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA:
Some installers must first attend training courses to gain extra qualifications in order to reach the required level of competence and purchase electrical test equipment. There are now around 39,000 installers registered with Part P Competent Person Schemes who have had their competence assessed; samples of their work checked regularly for compliance. At the time Part P was introduced there were 13,000 registered installers.
This process of registering, while ensuring that installers are suitably qualified, also adds to the burden place on installers.
Mandatory electrical competence scheme
We asked ourselves whether we should go further, in introducing a mandatory scheme; indeed, some of our evidence called for a mandatory registration requirement to be imposed upon electrical installation work as currently exists in the case of gas installations in the Gas Safety Register. The Electrical Safety Councilomeowners When we asked the Minister about imposing a mandatory registration requirement on electrical installation work, he replied that it was not "justified by the evidence we have. In the climate of the current Government, it would be a major regulatory step, which we would want to see real justification for before we considered doing it" We agree with the Minister that the imposing of a mandatory electrical competence scheme would be a considerable imposition on the electrical installation industry. It would only be justified if the current arrangements were failing. There have been calls for a mandatory requirement to use qualified electricians to install any electrical installation—in effect, the Gas Safe model applied to electrical work—with its mandatory use of registered installers. On balance, we are not convinced that such a scheme would be justified for electrical works at the present time. In our view it is better to improve the current arrangements, as we have suggested in our Report, and that a strengthened Part P Building Regulation regime would be better than a fully mandatory scheme at the present time. However, we recommend that the Government reports back to us in two years, on the success of the Government's changes, and in the report review the possibility of a mandatory use of registered installers. Building regulation approval[/B]
Oe of the options in the current DCLG consultation paper on Part P is to allow people who wish to carry out DIY electrical installations or electricians who do not wish to seek Competent Persons Scheme membership themselves to carry out electrical work and then employ a suitably qualified electrician to provide a view (by way of a certificate), which satisfies the requirements of Building Control, and which the Building Control body can then rely on. Paul Everall, from the Local Authority Building Control, thought such a move could be "a satisfactory solution in those sorts of circumstances".
The Minister told us that:
he proposed reductions in the requirements to get building regulation approval are going to be replaced by the option of getting competent advisers to do that. We do not believe that will do anything other than reduce the cost of the inspection; it will not reduce the level of inspection.]
This proposals, however, requires all parties working together, and we received evidence that showed that CPSs could work more closely with the Local Authority Building Control, to assist more closely with adherence to the Building Regulations. Paul Everall told us that better, and earlier, integration between the LABC and CPSs generally would help to control those not complying with Part
: Department of Health and HSE statistics

If things had not changed there would be more deaths now as houses are almost sealed these days. Even house hold paint is safer!

( Tents are getting sealed,less drafts-by modern fabrics -Hence BarbQ CO death )

i think we should be aiming for 0 deaths from gas appliances tbh. especially thoses caused by poor installations. thoses caused by poor maintenence are not so much in the industries control i guess.

0 would be nice, but when you consider most of them were killed by solid fuel fires and compare it to 1000 killed by electrical fires, 40,000 by alcohol and 3 times more on push bikes. I don't think we doing bad.

Co deaths must be in decline otherwise esther rantzen would still be on on the telly ....:)

what would watch dog winge about if they didnt have dodgy gas installers, prehaps they are getting their own house in order now they have lost their portugese fraudster on a bike:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Many fire related deaths could be easily avoided if people kept their smoke alarms working correctly. Amazing how many have no battery in them because they kept beeping to warn of the battery needing replacing.

as for CO, newer appliances try to achieve near stoichiometric combustion for efficiency gains. A small change can cause very hazardous levels of CO to arise. Compare that to an open flued appliance from 20 years ago where CO PPM could often be less than 10ppm when functioning correctly. I would say the risk is greater now even being room sealed, as when problems arise the situation changes very quickly due to concentration levels.

its true that modern premix burners can produce very high co levels if slightly out, but atleast its room sealed, so if fitted correctly and goes wrong then it all goes outside. where open flued has the chance of entering the room its fitted, so even small levels can be a problem if allowed to build up.

Gas fires with and without catalytic converters scare me and make me paranoid when installing to the point where i really dont want to.......am i alone or does anyone else share this view..........i know my installations are safe as i check and check again, but i still have that what if?......and so usually decline the invitation to install saying im too busy.

Happily fit gas fires into class 1 chimneys but precast or Pre fabricated chimneys are never as reliable and I am more uncomfortable with them.

problem with flueless gas fires is the idiot custards block the vent as soon as you leave!!

Big problem is new appliances are not safer than older appliances but people become complacent becasue they are 'modern'.

I investigated a non-fatal CO poisioning where a modern condensing boiler was producing in excess of 55,000ppm CO. Boiler had been maintained every year but the flue was installed too close to air vents. Everything was fine until a fault with the air/gas ratio valve, massive amounts of CO produced, products of combustion entered the property via the air vents and the whole family got hospitalised.

Also had a double fatality of a modern cooker producing in excess of 30,000ppm. This time it would appaer that the grill had been used with the door shut but we could never definitely prove it.

Doesnt matter if its the appliance, user error or just one of those things, CO incidents will unfortunately happen. The best we can do is be vigilant, try and keep things well maintained and push CO alarms (as smoke alarms do save lives and so shopuld CO alarms).

Just my opinion!

I did a fatal CO incident investigation where the CO arlarm was still in its box sitting on the arm of the sofa. So not alot of good unless you activate it and mount it in the proper location.

CO incidents will continue to happen where people do not get their appliances properly maintained. The other big issue is all of those long runs of concentric flues from permix boilers, when the flue has been incorrectly installed. Hence the requirement for inspection hatches, to be able to inspect ever joint.

i got called to a house yesterday with the co alarm in the upstairs bedroom was going off, turns out the customer had turned the pan supports upside down after cleaning the cooker, then decided to make a pot of soup. she wondered why there was 'black stuff' up the side of her pan..... something so easily done could of been fatal for her

Advantica collect statisics on CO poisonings, related to piped gas incidents. This is collected from investigations of this type. The 20'ish deaths a year, are based on these records.

Gas fires with and without catalytic converters scare me and make me paranoid when installing to the point where i really dont want to.......am i alone or does anyone else share this view..........i know my installations are safe as i check and check again, but i still have that what if?......and so usually decline the invitation to install saying im too busy.

I am writing a book on gas fires. Research is all done & it is almost finished ... I would be happy to email you a draft when it is ready.
When you see all the research gathered together in one place I don't think you will ever fit a flueless fire again.
I think they are probably fine - so long as they are not turned on and definitely not used as a heat source!
My gsr business do not do fires so I would really like a few guys who do fit fires to read through...

CO accidental fatality figures are wonderfully low and fallen dramatically over past 15 years.<br>Perhaps due to better public education?<br><br>But they do not include injury / poison incidents which are high.<br>Dept of Health est 4,000 incidents of CO poisoning annually (based on A&amp;E attendance).<br>Problem of under estimating as it is rarely tested for (via blood test) it is diagnosed just based on the evidence, so CO has to be suspected.<br>Of course the symptoms could be mistaken for flue, stress, etc...<br><br>less than 10 years ago there was a study in south east england that found a quarter of gas fires were AR or ID - due to lack of maintenance.<br>CO is associated with cookers and often reaches high levels, but people don't know this and a good number will be using their gas cooker to provide heating.<br>And then there was just a recent study in to CO last year - showing high levels of CO in a number of homes, residents were not aware.<br>http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/NewsUpdate/index_123350.htm<br><br>Those levels are not going to kill but can cause long term, permanent health problems.<br><br>Some CO may be due to other fuels, lighting a BBQ in the kitchen of using a petrol generator in the home! <br>But something like 95% of homes in the UK have gas heating so really CO is still a big problem.<br>And the vast majority of these poisonings would not happen is people had gas appliances installed and regularly serviced/checked by gsr engineer.<br><br>Rant over.<br>PS. I 've got no idea what the OP was about! :)<br><br><br>

Tip of the ice berg. I suspect there is so much under reporting of RIDDOR through CO relayed issues, that the stat's do not reflect the true picture.

if the gov researched and provided proper stats they would have to do something ie ban sale of gas products to diy and that isnt happening anytime soon

if the gov researched and provided proper stats they would have to do something ie ban sale of gas products to diy and that isnt happening anytime soon

It will never happen, freedom of trade and all that.

Just because a person buys a gas appliance it does not mean they will install it. Where do you draw the line. Gas Barbeques? Portable gas heaters? freestanding Cookers?

Unfortunately there are those out there that think they can do what ever they want, with no regard for legislation. Competents! Reg 3 GSIUR

I think we've taken a step back with gas safety due to the lack of air pressure switches on gas boilers, APS were always handy for identifying flue faults as well as a flame picture.

A unconverted Vitodens with a working pressure of 70 mbar was very nearly the end of me last year, I'd advise any gas fitter to get a personal carbon monoxide alarm as mine saved me that day.

Im reading too many reports of gsr fitter being saved by personal CO alarms so it seems i had better get one sharpish......wonder if ray will do an offer for forum members?

ESPs dont provide CO/Atmospheric detectors for its Engineers although i think one is now issuing PAMs (personal atmospheric monitors).I wonder how it can be considered safe to send an ESP bod to fumes/reports of CO and yet he has no means to safeguard himself?

ESPs dont provide CO/Atmospheric detectors for its Engineers although i think one is now issuing PAMs (personal atmospheric monitors).I wonder how it can be considered safe to send an ESP bod to fumes/reports of CO and yet he has no means to safeguard himself?

A CO incident a coulpe of years ago, in South Wales, involved the ESP man being overcome by CO in a cellar of a commerical office block. No personal CO detector. Can't understand why the ESP don't issue them out as a norm. But may be they do now?
The cause was a domestic GSR engineer changed the gas valve, the day before, on a commercial atmosphereic boiler and did not set the burner pressure or check the gas rate properly, this as well as defective ventialtion was the cause.

SGN (Scotland) have been issuing them for a while now. Maybe southern do to as they are part of the same group.

I believe all of the ESP's were looking at this issue and most were considering personal alarms for their first call operatives. However politically they did not want to go down the route of issue CO detectors or analysers for responding to reports of fumes/CO alarm activation as this opens up a whole new skill level for their staff which would involve training and all sorts of additional costs to them.

By issuing personal alarms only they can remain as TOFO's and just make safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to (co) bigger killer now or 20 years ago in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock