Discuss Cleaning an f&e before drain down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a central heating system to drain down and replace three radiators. I've been 'round to look at the job and had a quick peek in the loft; the water in the f/e tank is absolutely filthy and full of sludge. I don't want to just drain it all through the system because I don't want to allow any muck into the boiler and cause problems there. I know I can bail it out by hand, but am I really just being paranoid???!!! :eek:
TerryH

Sometimes it's best to go by your instincts and do this differently.

Last one I did I took the risk and drained but then cleaned out the cistern before refilling. (Most of the sludge/muck will stay in the cistern.)

Don't let the sludge in the FE go into the system, will cause more problems. Also check with system running if the expansion is pumping over, it'll need sorting as well as flushing system.

Sometimes it's easiest to drain the water leaving the sludge in the cistern, take the cistern off and wash it out in the sink.

your not being paranoid i have done this in the past when its on a microbore system so it doesnt block up somewhere, 5 minute job just plug the feed, use a sponge and bucket.

if i come across really dirty ones i will give it a clean as i dont want problems when i fill up

Thanks for all the replies.
Well, it looks as if I was not being paranoid, what a relief :)
I'll take the advice; bung it, bail it and wipe it all out. If nothing else I'll feel I've taken an extra precaution......
Thanks again for your time, gents,
Terry H

your not being paranoid i have done this in the past when its on a microbore system so it doesnt block up somewhere, 5 minute job just plug the feed, use a sponge and bucket.

Thanks for your advice..... Just a report back for all of those who helped.... I bunged the outlet and bailed the cistern, cleaned it out thoroughly with towels and certainly FELT much more confident, which is an advantage in itself.... just a few extra minutes of work.
It was a micro-bore system so all I think it was especially necessary, it's certainly something I'll make a habit of :)
There have been no, 'call backs' so it looks as if there are no other problems.. although being an old micro-bore system it took a long time to warm through.......time to invoice the customer, hurrah!
Thanks again for your time and help, gents,
TerryH :)

Terry I think you'll find the system will be in the same state as the tank, hence the reason the system was slow to heat up, micro bore systems should be faster to heat up because low water content and water velosity.

I would suggest a proper powerflush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cleaning an f&e before drain down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock