Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Cleaning 100 year old cast iron rads. in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

Morning people, I’m in the middle of a listed building refurb. The customer is having overlay ufh throughout and using the original cast iron rads as the supplementary heat. I’m removing the top and bottom entry bushes to have them at the bottom, there’s lots of dried magnetite coming out. I’m thinking of hooking up a powerflush machine whilst we’re at building stage to clean them. I’ve put some of the big lumps into an acid/ water mix and it’s not limescale . What chemicals would give satisfactory results on cold water powerflush?

Thanks

8DFDF3B6-F745-4563-BF47-795BC026FE7E.jpeg

6C7F963A-7498-4A2B-9764-6AC3F84B24BD.jpeg

2. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

It probably best to keep doing what you are doing.
    Remove the entry bushes, belt the heater around a bit and then tip out the dried magnetite.
    I would be hesitant putting too strong a chemical through the rads, due to the old paper gaskets used between each section.
    It may just be worth flushing with water after getting as much magnetite out while the rad is dry

3. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

4. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

use a rubber mallet and a powerfull magnet as well as
    some of the right type of sentinal, or other chemicals.
    Ring up their technical number
    they will give you good advice. X800 Sentinal but keep it going round loads of times or soak if you can find big enough old tank.
    We used to bung them in the pine strippers vat years ago
    centralheatking

5. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Just remember, whatever you use, make sure the PH is properly back to neutral when you've done. I suspect it will take as long to do that as clean 'em.

6. Rob Foster

great advice...forgot that ..and if they are not going to be used for a while, do not store them dry, introduce some chainsaw oil insude and roll it around, then clear it out before use.
    chking...good luck sounds a great project

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Flush them with mains water before fitting

• Like Like x 1
  8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Warn and double warn the customer of the potential future problems with that in the system, could end in tears

9. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

Already have done and he’s adamant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I’ve connected all the rads in series and going to run some x800 via a powerflush all day tomorrow and then flush em out with cold water.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim09876

Jim09876 Member

Jesus Christ! you on a day rate or what?

12. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

The customer will have spent around 45k on his heating towards the end of the job, so for the sake of cleaning these dirty feckers... is another cost he’ll embrace:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim09876

Jim09876 Member

14. Jim09876

Jim09876 Member

Must have used British Gas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Rob Foster

go for it ..centralheatking

• Like Like x 1