Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Ckr1 htr1 and met1 query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

I'm going to be doing the following assessments this Friday at a college. I'm a time served plumber and gas engineer. Although a lot of companies won't touch me as I've only got CENWAT1 and CPA1. Looking to boost my qualifications by doing the above courses. The only thing is however they are assessment only. No training at college. I've done enough fires as an apprentice to know how they work and what safety checks to follow. Although I've never worked on cookers nor meters. I've kept my notes from when I done my acs so will be looking over them until Friday. Is there anything in particular I should know for cookers and meters? And what does the assessment consist of? Practical and theory or just one or the other? Thanks

If you've never done them before you would have made life easier with a bit training for all it would have cost. If you have a viper or BPEC book get reading.

I'm out of work at the moment and a couple of companies said they would consider me if I had a few more tickets. Getting a loan of the money in the hope I get took on after it or at least in January next year. Desperate for work and if I'd have been able to pay for the training I'd have done it. This is like a gamble in hope I can do enough self studying and get a job from it. Thanks for the help guys. Going to get stuck in to the notes anyway until then.

Gas fires always about builders openings and ventilation. Three main area's Radiant fires, LFE's and DFE's. Study the DFE's in particular. DFE's size of opening in relation to height and size of flue, along with size of vent requirements. Cookers is mainly testing of safety devices, pipe connection and clearances. Maybe the odd door seals problem, with the BECO sham etc.

great advice there, lets us know how you do, good luck. just remember the answers in the books they give you if your stuck. deep breathe and delve the indexes

Gas fires always about builders openings and ventilation. Three main area's Radiant fires, LFE's and DFE's. Study the DFE's in particular. DFE's size of opening in relation to height and size of flue, along with size of vent requirements. Cookers is mainly testing of safety devices, pipe connection and clearances. Maybe the odd door seals problem, with the BECO sham etc.

Cheers for the tip. As I said pretty confident with fires. Cookers and meters will need studied the most I reckon. What does the meter assessment consist if do you know?

great advice there, lets us know how you do, good luck. just remember the answers in the books they give you if your stuck. deep breathe and delve the indexes
Biggest downfall is nerves for me. With my company they paid for it and took a laid back approach to the tests as they were paying for any resits etc. This time it's money that I'll be paying back so I know how important the tests are and that I pass first time. So no doubt nerves will be shot to bits lol.

Not much to meters. Meter box requirements is a big one. May cover medium pressure tightness testing, but I think that's in CCN1 anyway.

I'm going to be doing the following assessments this Friday at a college. I'm a time served plumber and gas engineer. Although a lot of companies won't touch me as I've only got CENWAT1 and CPA1. Looking to boost my qualifications by doing the above courses. The only thing is however they are assessment only. No training at college. I've done enough fires as an apprentice to know how they work and what safety checks to follow. Although I've never worked on cookers nor meters. I've kept my notes from when I done my acs so will be looking over them until Friday. Is there anything in particular I should know for cookers and meters? And what does the assessment consist of? Practical and theory or just one or the other? Thanks

Think back to your CENWAT assessment, some theory and some practical
Depending who you do it with you will do 5 theory questions for cookers, 19 for fires and 20 odd for meters,on the practical side,
Cookers and fires you need to fit one using correct materials from stuff supplied, some suitable some not, so read the nots, cooker flexi position, stability bracket, check appliance when done and record faults, fires is similar but you need to fit on solid pipe not flexi, again do all relevant safety checks, meters you need to swap a meter, fit a regulator, test standing and working pressures and adjust as necessary, remember continuity bond etc
Easy peasy,

Biggest downfall is nerves for me. With my company they paid for it and took a laid back approach to the tests as they were paying for any resits etc. This time it's money that I'll be paying back so I know how important the tests are and that I pass first time. So no doubt nerves will be shot to bits lol.

Where are you doing the assessments?

Read the manufacturer instructions when doing the cookers, can't go wrong.

Thanks for all the information. Really appreciate it.

Kirkgas, I'm sitting them at the Gas Safety Certification Centre in Blantyre

Ever thought bout getting your G3 too? Lots around and the numbers only seem to grow!?

Ever thought bout getting your G3 too? Lots around and the numbers only seem to grow!?
Yeah I've already got my unvented hot water and solar hot water. My company put me through that as part of my apprenticeship. Takes the sting out of not getting more appliances off them lol.

PM me your email address and i'll send you some stuff.
Done they workbooks last night and pretty happy with initial results. I done it with no notes infront of me and was happy with what I got. Going to do it tonight with notes and see how I get on. Is practical for cookers more or less the same as Cenwat? Where you need to visually check, look for faults, fire the appliance up and check safety devices?

Basically. I'm sure they asked me what paste I would use to connect the hose too!! They had 2 tubs there. They like the safety deivces too

Basically. I'm sure they asked me what paste I would use to connect the hose too!! They had 2 tubs there. They like the safety deivces too
Cheers. As I said I'm pretty comfortable with fires already anyway. Just going to focus more on the cookers and meters. I'm guessing there won't be much too the practical meter test. Just need to remember to use temp bonding and place dust caps over meter when removed. Do you need to do a medium pressure tightness test?

When I done my met 4 I didn't!! Install and remove. Check issues with installation like earth bond,no governor etc. Leak on the meter by means of taking washer out etc. Why are you doing MET1? It's not really good for that much and I thought I heard on here they were gonna stop it!?

When I done my met 4 I didn't!! Install and remove. Check issues with installation like earth bond,no governor etc. Leak on the meter by means of taking washer out etc. Why are you doing MET1? It's not really good for that much and I thought I heard on here they were gonna stop it!?
Just doing it boost my qualifications really in hope that a company take me on. Couple of companies have said they would've took me on had I been more qualified.

I thought you were supposed to remove meter when working on carcass etc? If so you would have to have MET1 I presume? Could be wrong tho! :biker:

Then it would be a requirement that everyone had it not just optional surely??
As most of us if not all have worked on the carcass!

You don't need a met to take a meter out.
Met1 is for install, exchange, remove and commission domestic gas meters

If soldering on the carcass is my understanding.

Unfortunately for you your understanding of the requirements is wrong, when you did CCN1 training it's covered that you need to remove meter for soldering, but this is covered under CCN and pipework, you only need MET1 to renew or relocate meters

Unfortunately for you your understanding of the requirements is wrong, when you did CCN1 training it's covered that you need to remove meter for soldering, but this is covered under CCN and pipework, you only need MET1 to renew or relocate meters

Perhaps I was unclear I was responding to " thought you were supposed to remove meter when working on carcass etc?" and that removing only required if soldering. I wasnt refering to the qual required to move it.

Last edited:
Passed all 3 of them big thanks to all on here for the help.

Special mention for tamz for the email.

Well done my man
Now stick around and get yourself in GSR only forum!!

Well done my man
Now stick around and get yourself in GSR only forum!!
That's my next step. Can I apply to the gas safe register just now? Ive heard when you apply and pay the fee they then come inspect 3 jobs that you've done. If I'm out of work just now can i still apply and do they then just come out when I've done work and check it?

You go onto a probation and they will come out inspect. When I done mine I didn't have a job so he watched me service my own boiler and asked questions and that's it. Just one visit.
So yes mate you can. Near 500 notes for your first time.

You go onto a probation and they will come out inspect. When I done mine I didn't have a job so he watched me service my own boiler and asked questions and that's it. Just one visit.
So yes mate you can. Near 500 notes for your first time.

Might look into that for the start of the new year and let him watch me service my boiler. :crowngrin:

Thanks for the advice again. This forum has helped me no end this week. Cheers lads

Perhaps I was unclear I was responding to " thought you were supposed to remove meter when working on carcass etc?" and that removing only required if soldering. I wasnt refering to the qual required to move it.

Haha ok, we will,put it down to 50/50, you cannae write and I cannae read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ckr1 htr1 and met1 query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock