Discuss cheap trv's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wezzer

I am replacing 12 radiator valves in a big old house with 12 trv's. I have quoted a price using "pegler terrier 11's", a middle priced trv. Customer wants to cut price by using a cheaper variety. I know you can get Trv's for under a fiver and i could reduce price by £60-£70, but in the long run cant help thinking its not worth it. Does or has anyone used the cheaper valves and what re your thought?

the customers all ways right even when there wrong, ask the customer to get there own as you will fit cheap ones but you will not supply them, that way they only have the makers warranty for the valves and yours for the work if the valves fail they did not take your advice and you charge them to do the job again. ONLY SUPPLY PARTS YOU KNOW ARE RELIABLE. cheap is not always the best option

Hi Customers who want to save money on first date, is not the basis of a lasting relationship. The time you spend going back wards and forward revising quotes costs you 60 quid.

I am replacing 12 radiator valves in a big old house with 12 trv's. I have quoted a price using "pegler terrier 11's", a middle priced trv. Customer wants to cut price by using a cheaper variety. I know you can get Trv's for under a fiver and i could reduce price by £60-£70, but in the long run cant help thinking its not worth it. Does or has anyone used the cheaper valves and what re your thought?

Would it be possible to fit weather comp to his boiler and maybe not bother with TRV's?

Depending on the boiler and the house of course.

Tim

if you need the customer, then advise him to fit the trv's you suggest under your guarantee, else you can fit just what he supplies with no guarantee.
he's probably hard up which is understandable, but just for the fact that he wants the cheapest stuff fitted, not listening to your advice and price quibbling before you start works sets caution bells off in my head.

you can fit optimizers and weather compensators to any boiler - just an add on.

In a small terraced house with a family who dont shut the internal doors its just like one big room.

So the benifit of the cost of TRV's can be nil.

Where as if the boiler has weather comp ability and a contol that has a set back temperature facility the gas consumption could be reduced and the carbon Dioxide produced will be less, whilst at the same time providing a more comfortable house for the customer to live in.

Tim

interesting comment baker, where would you put the room sensor if all the doors are left open, and how would you control the optimizer?

As a for instance, a small mid terrace with front room (inc front entrance),
Back room is the kitchen and the staircase leads off this room and has no door at the bottom of stairs.

On the first floor is two rooms and a bathroom.

Oh yes I forgot to mention, the gas fire in the down stairs front room.

Because of the heat input to the down stairs rooms from the gas fire and the cooker a room stat will be a problem but with a New type Vitodens 100 it is possible to achieve a comfortable dwelling using weather comp.

As you proberbly know the weather comp on the 100 is activated by the fitting of the outside sensor, and the curve is adjusted (lifted or lowered) by simply turning the rad temp knob.

I have a 90 year old customer who has a 100 combi and an out side sensor, and a few existing TRV’s upstairs, but no room stat.

When she goes out or goes to bed for the night she lowers the curve by turning the rad knob to a very low setting,

When she gets up in the morning or comes in from the bingo, she turns the knob up to the black dot on the facia and so lifts the curve to a setting that is comfortable for her whilst keeping the boiler operating within a temperature range that enables it to condense as it was designed to do.

OK what about an interlock I hear you saying to your selves, but in this instance I had to use a bit of commonsense, she was of the switch it on and switch it off school, where as what she has now is a boiler operates efficiently and the temperatures in her house are constantly adjusted relative to the out side temperature by the weather comp curve, and at night if it gets really cold she wont pop off due to hyperthermia as the weather comp will bring the boiler on, and this installation has been running since last November and she is not complaining about her gas bill. (I still have her old Warmfront 82e in Lancs if any one needs spares)

I admit that I was a weather comp doubter, it sounded like a right load of salesman speak, but now I have fitted it on Avanta’s, Vitodens and hopefully Intergas boilers some time soon, and I like it so much that I usually remonstrate with counter staff who don’t push it and blokes who don’t fit weather comp because it really does makes sense.

Obviously I have not rolled in off the street and seen the weather comp light, I am on other sights and will be honest and say I got this link from another site,
my reason for coming on here, apart from to meet another bunch of spanner men was to try and talk some/all of you into signing a couple of e-petitions that a couple from Southport and a bloke from further south have started on the Number 10 web site because they are fed up with the suits at Warmfront.

Any way back to where to stick a room stat, if we look at the house I described at the start of this post it would be possible to achieve a compromise by using a Vitotrol 100 Radio frequency digital programmable room stat which the bloke could place in the front room when the fire is not lit or at least move it into a corner but allow him to move it into the kitchen when the oven is not on.

Like I said it’s all about a bit of using our common sense, that’s something the ones who make the rules don’t seem to have a lot of at times.

The radio Frequency programmable room stat is also done in an Analog format that is very customer friendly.

Tim

Ps OK Mr Moderater can you tell me, whats the crack re petitions?

Have noted you work on real viesmanns, they are loverly boilers. Wouldnt mind having a close up at one of them one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cheap trv's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock