Search the forum,

Discuss Chasing gas leaks - what do you do in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

bacon_sandwich

Gas Engineer
Well, i dont know if i am unlucky but its happening too often.

Serviced boiler in cellar of a large old building on Saturday. Incoming enters cellar below ground but head height in cellar, straight into meter, a couple of meters of steel pipe and into boiler, shortest simplest run ever. No other gas pipes or appliances. Tightness does not move for over 5 minutes (got bored waiting).... sprayed boiler gaskets around venturi and into burner area , no visible leaks, sniffer broken so no use today. I went in Sunday to do other work no gas smell. Client comes in Monday morning reports gas smell in reception which is one flight up and quite a treck through 3 doors from cellar. client cannot smell gas in cellar....... i went back tonight tested everything again, cannot smell gas anywhere, but my nose is useless now.
This has happened before at a warehouse again simple gas run, tightness better than anything...... what the 8uck do you do of the client keeps reporting gas smell and you for the life cannot find the slightest leak.

Ahh feel better now

If you are confident of your tightness test tell them to ring Cadent. It may not be in there building. It could be travelling.
Was my thinking - today some said they could smell it some said they couldn't. Its a very old building and i dont know the external route of incoming only it enters the opposite end of the building to the reported smell. BTW 100% on the tightness, i installed the boiler and all pipework 3 years ago :))

I recently had a low carbon steel pipe being corroded under the floor. The entrance and living room had wooden floor boards and the kitchen had those old red tiles. The low carbon steel pipe was buried underneath the red tiles and when used my sniffer it was the right location to dig something up. Once gas was off I pulled gently the gas pipe between hallway and kitchen ... you won’t believe what I had find - a loose disconnected ( because of corrosion ) steel pipe pumping full gas in the property for ages. Never seen something like this dangerous if you imsg8 e the amount of gas passing through unburned.

I would get out SGN, if my responsibilities on the gas line are sound. This is one of those, where shutting off the ecv does not get rid of the unsafe situation. What else can you do if your side is gas tight and there is still a reported smell of gas.

I would hang around while the Engineer did his stuff, until I had a definitive conclusion. Hopefully then it turned out to be their responsibility and you can go home and sleep tonight.

Went out with super sniffer, as expected not a single beep, swept boiler room in cellar, all corners of reception where the reports were coming from, found gas T connection in pavement, ran sniffer in drains and any holes i could find, nil,
Rang gas leak line and cadent out within 15 minutes, repeated the same exercise and declared no leak, no problem and left.
OK - so now what, tell client to look for rotting meat and veg ? - lol

Went out with super sniffer, as expected not a single beep, swept boiler room in cellar, all corners of reception where the reports were coming from, found gas T connection in pavement, ran sniffer in drains and any holes i could find, nil,
Rang gas leak line and cadent out within 15 minutes, repeated the same exercise and declared no leak, no problem and left.
OK - so now what, tell client to look for rotting meat and veg ? - lol

Cant do any more

Tell them you've been out also gas supplier has check no leak

Get cadent out they should attend within a couple of hours and do a through check of the property being a basement it may be a external problem dont wait get it done . Kop

Well, still smells today. Going to take super sniffer out today, then its 0800 111 999, have run out of options

You have taken a masssive risk. When you had first report of gas escape, and you tested and found downstream of ECV sound, your very next move should have been to contact 0800111999. There may have been a massive street leak entering the property. By delaying, you put folk at risk.

Why DID you not report it straight away.?

BTW, now you have established there is no gas leak (assuming SGN got it right), why are you fussing over what to do next? If there IS a dead cow in the basement, it is not your problem.

If they phone again, refer them to SGN, or, better still, phone it in yourself.

Fair questions,
Smell nowhere near any source of gas , client side of meter.
Smell nowhere near street or incoming service
It made no sense, whatsoever.
I could not smell gas and most staff could not smell it, just a couple of employees could.
Massive risk ? - Not in my professional opinion
Op was about how other professionals deal with no detectable smells.
It seams we shrug our shoulders and say not my problem.

Fair questions,
I could not smell gas and most staff could not smell it, just a couple of employees could.
Massive risk ? - Not in my professional opinion
Op was about how other professionals deal with no detectable smells.
It seams we shrug our shoulders and say not my problem.
Wrong. A smell if if gas was reported to an RGI. You tested and found no leak after ECV. Do you not understand the nature of an external gas escape? The smell can come and go depending on ground conditions. Just because you could not smell it at the time of visit does not mean it was not there. You acknowledged as such when you returned at least once .

Yes i do, thanks
So why did you not get SGN involved? You do not have the kit that they do to detect outside escapes. Sorry, BS, but the level of proffesionalism in this trade is appalling. You took a massive risl in that, as an RGI, you did not, or did not know how to, handle the report properly.
You say your post was about how do pro. guys handle undetectable smells. Everyone (should) knows the answer. Contact the ES. Simple.

You chose to visit at least once after having a zero drop. Only a "couple" of employees could smell it. Are you mad?

It made no sense, because you clearly do NOT understand how gas can travel a long way before being "nose detectable"

Yes i do, thanks
Mods can you close this thread now please. Have put firemant on ignore list and it does not make sense when i look at it now.
thx

No. I am properly qualified. And I don't lie about people on ignore list. You are clearly of the hard of understanding persuasion. My advice is to listen to those who do know. You may then be better able to meet your professional obligations.

Reply to Chasing gas leaks - what do you do in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
Hello, What would cause an intermittent gas leak around a boiler? In the evenings there is a strong smell of gas coming from the boiler. I got a gas sniffer from Screwfix and it detects gas in the kitchen and squeals when near the boiler. A plumber inspected the boiler, in total they...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi, Yesterday morning my partner smelled gas in the flat and called cadent, the gas man came and he was not able to pinpoint where or even if there was a leak inside the flat, he tested the pressure and detected a drop of 1.5 milibar on the 2 minute test so he capped the pipe and said i needed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock