Search the forum,

Discuss Charges and Fees, How Much? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hiya, just starting out self-employed so I'm a little unsure what to charge...

What do you all charge for call outs, time, specific jobs? If you wouldn't mind also saying what area you work in too!?

Your responses are much appreciated 😉

Tbh work out what it costs you each day to work plus 20% then divide that by how many hours you typically work that’s your charge per hour

Tbh work out what it costs you each day to work plus 20% then divide that by how many hours you typically work that’s your charge per hour

I would do it slightly differently😁

Take your target income per year, divide by 200 which gives you a minimum day rate.

Then add up all your expected over heads, divide that by 200 and add to the first number.

Then look to see how much that works out per day

The reason I use 200 allows me to assume the bank holidays and days off are “covered”

Also consider how much other plumbers in your area charge too

According to your profile you're in CB1, i.e. Cambridge. So some info here:

A quick look down the suggested prices for various jobs shows that this has been put together by somebody with no clue whatsoever and as such is a pretty worthless resource.

A quick look down the suggested prices for various jobs shows that this has been put together by somebody with no clue whatsoever and as such is a pretty worthless resource.
I agree the list of typical charges for jobs is so useful because it lacks context. I drew attention to the link because it does list a sample of day and hour rates. The site claims that these figures are provided by the traders who sign up to their lead-finding service. Before posting, I looked the list for my area and recognised enough of the people listed to believe the list is genuine. For the people I know reasonably well, the quoted rates seem about right. Now, according to the site the median hourly / daily rates are £44 / £260 for its members in Cambridge. For my own area in the southwest, which is definitely cheaper than Cambridge, they are £32 / £247.

The main issue I have with these sort of lists is the 'selection effect', i.e. the traders who sign up may not be representative of the whole market. Established traders who are fully-booked into the foreseeable future with repeat customers and personal recommendations aren't going to sign up. However, I'd expect it to take a couple of years of hard graft before the OP is competing with them for custom.

Last edited:
I always find those sites are years out of date too. And things like 'cost of resealing a bath' are miles out. Easy job if you installed it and did the tiling. Hard job if you're following an installer who grouted before siliconing - takes hours and hours to clean out the joint. £57... well, if you are happy to do a bit of less skilled work at a labourer's rate, then I suppose it's about right.

Word of experience here. You will always underestimate how long things take because customers have messy houses, the last person to do plumbing in the house was slapdash, there's a lack of access to what you need to get to, and you're running a pipe past 3 electrical fittings that aren't one above the other so you're doing multiple offsets to clear them. This is okay (sort of) if all you are underestimating is the labour time and you haven't other jobs to be doing as you are 'wasting' time and 'gaining' experience. So if you want to fix prices for customers then by all means do that, but eventually you'll find yourself pricing them higher than you might if you were to work on a time basis.

I'm not the best person to ask as plumbing is a bit of a second job at present (not really out of choice... personal circumstances, you know), but, prior to all that, I had worked out what it costs me to live and based what I need to earn a working week on that. I find a working week may not be 40 hours as I spend time getting parts, doing accounts, and all the other stuff I can't actually bill people for. I charge half an hour for getting to a (local) site, then a minimum of 1 hour for labour and then in half an hour increments. Getting parts is not chargeable unless they are a specific part I cannot possibly be expected to hold in stock. Sometimes I tell people a high maximum purely as an estimate, but depends on the customer and how I know him/her. It did seem to be roughly working for me.

Bear in mind I always attribute mileage for the job against invoices and put the money in tin (literally) as I get paid. This keeps tabs on the cost of the van. Seeing this year has been low mileage and high fuel costs, the old yardstick of 45p/mile may not be enough and I may need to adjust callout costs accordingly.

I charge 70 for first hour and 50 per hour after that, 300/350 day rate (no vat).
When I was just starting out self employed (with 10years experience) I charged 50,40,250.
Altho if your a new entrant you may not really be worth that, I wouldn't recommend going much cheaper as you won't attract the right kind of work.
What I would recommend is when your experience fails you then be fair to the customer and adjust your bill accordingly.

Reply to Charges and Fees, How Much? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock