Search the forum,

Discuss Charge or not to charge... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
So when you go out to a job and find that the best option is to get the manufacturers in to fix the boiler for a one off fee, do you still charge for your time spent there investigating etc. After all, we are running a business

Never really been in that position only do oil. If it's under warranty then I'll nip out free of charge just to check if it's a warranty issue or not.
If its not then I'm going to fix and charge accordingly.
But appreciate that you could turn up and cust can get a better deal with a fixed price repair. In that case then I'd be charging, after all you are saving the cust money.

Excel and access are best learnt when you have a need to use them. Used to do a loadwith it in a past life.

Never really been in that position only do oil. If it's under warranty then I'll nip out free of charge just to check if it's a warranty issue or not.
If its not then I'm going to fix and charge accordingly.
But appreciate that you could turn up and cust can get a better deal with a fixed price repair. In that case then I'd be charging, after all you are saving the cust money.

Excel and access are best learnt when you have a need to use them. Used to do a loadwith it in a past life.

That makes perfect sense Simon thank you.

I know I should charge as I spent all my time getting there, getting tools out testing etc and find a few faults. This was at 6.30 as well. Just not sure how they will react when texting asking for email to send invoice.

I have tried a free Microsoft office course a few times but always end up forgetting what I learn so revert back to 2000BC

Definitely charge. In that situation I will always provide a quote for me to do the work and then tell them the manufacturers fee. It's up to them then to make a decision. But your time going out there and diagnosing it is chargeable.

Definitely charge. In that situation I will always provide a quote for me to do the work and then tell them the manufacturers fee. It's up to them then to make a decision. But your time going out there and diagnosing it is chargeable.

Good advicealso providing a Quote comparison. Thanks

That way it looks like you aren't just trying to avoid the job or don't know what the problem is. Customer thinking/assuming that will make them less likely to want to pay your invoice.

I have never passed a paying customer onto anyone. Especially not the manufacturers.
I would definitely charge in your position though.

Just out of curiosity and speaking as someone who's never done that, why would you not just repair it and charge the full amount?
We are in business after all and in it to make money amongst other things. The Manu's have an unfair advantage over us as it is.

Have a look at open office mut

I have never passed a paying customer onto anyone. Especially not the manufacturers.
I would definitely charge in your position though.

Just out of curiosity and speaking as someone who's never done that, why would you not just repair it and charge the full amount?
We are in business after all and in it to make money amongst other things. The Manu's have an unfair advantage over us as it is.
Because I like to keep my customers and I always do what is best for them. Not what is right for me. That is why I am so busy all the time.

Because I like to keep my customers and I always do what is best for them. Not what is right for me. That is why I am so busy all the time.
I am busy all year round too. I can't understand why anyone would pass customers on though.
I get that honesty prevails and the customer feels loyal so will probably come back to you but there's also the loss of revenue.
Have you seen the 'fixed price repairs' from BG?
It's no saving really is it?
You might as well keep the customer and the cash. On top of that, BG along with Boiler manu's have some excellent Engineers. They also have some plant pots. It is better to have you than a plant pot!

I am busy all year round too. I can't understand why anyone would pass customers on though.
I get that honesty prevails and the customer feels loyal so will probably come back to you but there's also the loss of revenue.
Have you seen the 'fixed price repairs' from BG?
It's no saving really is it?
You might as well keep the customer and the cash. On top of that, BG along with Boiler manu's have some excellent Engineers. They also have some plant pots. It is better to have you than a plant pot!
Revenue isn’t everything mate.

Revenue isn’t everything mate.
I know.
I was talking specifically about passing on customers to the likes of BG or manufacturers and the risk of losing them when there is not a massive saving for the customer anyway. There is also the risk of the customer being robbed or over paying for a repair that shouldn't cost much.

My Business is very old. I am in full agreement that money isn't everything. Running a business in my opinion is a more a way of life.
If we compare this to a Christmas Carol for example (Scrooge with Alistair sim), I would be more inclined to agree with 'Old Fezzywig' as opposed to the greedy, grasping, manipulative and money hungry, Mr Marley and Mr Scrooge, Bah Humbug!!

I was aiming at making the point that if you look at the BG fixed price repair and look at the timescales involved, I cannot see the customer saving much money in all honesty. If the customer went to them and was offered the initial payment of £xx plus £xx per month for 12 months deal, there might be a risk of them going for that and not returning.
Due to my business being mainly Heating work (no bathrooms in Domestic properties), I could lose the Boiler service and repairs in those Domestic properties to another!
That would upset me greatly.

We will have to agree to disagree on this method of running a business.

Reply to Charge or not to charge... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock