Discuss Changing Oil Tank Sight Tube Plastic Thing-a-me-jig wotsit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dontknowitall

You know the tube that goes up the front of an oil tank so you can see how much oil is left?

That's the one!

Presumably to change it to a new one you just pull the old one out (trying to catch the oil in the tube) then push a new one in?

There is a nut at the bottom but I'm assuming I don't even need to touch this.

It's a fairly standard fitting with wheel valve, filter beneath and a pull rod to drop the oil in the tube to find the oil level of the tank.

If there's a YouTube clip (or similar) showing how to replace I'd be grateful for the link.

As ever, many thanks for any received help!

Don't think you can get them now. Fit a watchman. They're only about fifty quid.

ONLY ÂŁ50?

I've come across 3-4 watchmans that have failed or don't read properly.

I reckon the customer's stick is still the best so far* ... but many thanks for the input.

* I know, I know but I've yet to hear of a boiler stop working because it's been blocked with a splinter!!

There should be a spigot that the tube pushes onto,some have a metal clip that unscrews. Cut the old tube off with a stanley knife,clean the crud out of the bottom of the spigot and push the new tube on.I put a bowl underneath to catch the oil.And watch out for the little green ball that indicates oil level,if you drop it on the grass it will be gone for good!!

Cracking!! Many thanks - I thought it would be quite simple!

You can get the tube from hps about 60p per mtr. Cut off the old one pour boiling water over the new one and it slips on a treat. You can even buy the new green floats. I carry tube and floats on the van, nice little earner.

hi. i worked for OJ Williams doing nothing but service/repair oil boilers and oil tanks.
dependant on which type of oil tank guage you have, depends on type of sight guage tubing .
if there is a (common) Atkins valve, (round shut off wheel on face of valve) then it is a simple task.
easiest to buy a complete sight guage from plumcentre or the like, they are not expensive and come in 2 lengths, then turn off oil supply.
place a catch container under valve, remove old tube by undoing large nut directly at base of tube. catch any suspended oil. when tube is off, turn on oil supply and pull out brass plunger breifly, catching oil and crud that will come out in catch container. turn off supply again, screw on new tube assembly, trim to just above tank height ensuring black cap is refitted,

( if cap is missing, a danfoss nozzle pot makes a perfect replacement!!)

turn on supply and pull out plunger to read level.
it also helps to drop in a small green or red bead (i have loads from angling shop!) that floats, makes seeing level easier.
if its not an atkins valve, you could struggle to change tube on some older designs.
it is possible to remove old tubing by undoing or cutting off jubilee clip, and replacing with new length of oil resistant silicone tubing with new jubilee clip, but if it has a steel support rod built in, im not sure these are avaiable anymore.

and as for watchman radio senders, dont bother.

ive installed far too many that have gone faulty within 18 months to reccomend them.
nothing as accurate as sight tube.
oh, and if youre servicing oil boilers, make sure you dip tank for water * with a rod and water reactive paste, clean out filter(s) and check/trim sight tubes to make sure caps are covering end of tube, otherwise rain water will get into filter bowl, freeze, expand, distort filter bowl and then gush 1200L of oil everywhere!

* if you find signifigant water in base of tank, especially old steel ones, this will definitely cause problems such as filling up the rayburns' OCV, or seizing up the p/j oil pump. Riello RDB /g5's are especially prone to this!
Personal message me for advice on water removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
just re read your post, and yes you do have an atkins valve.
you can change whole sight guage completely, or buy length of tubing from plumbcentre/hspc.
( As a business , the complete tube looks much better as has nice clean white support sleeve that makes reading easier, and can be charged for at a higher rate than just a bit of tube using old crappy and usually cracked and taped up support sleeve!)
to change just the tube, place your catch container and cut off old tube with blade, push on new tube, slide support sleeve back onto tube if its intact and you have cleaned it well,
trim to length @ 4'' above tank height.

THE HEIGHT OF TUBE IS VITAL!!

ive been to a job where MR-im-a-plumber-not bothered to OFTEC qualify but work on oil equipment anyway ,:mad:
had fitted new oil tank sight guage, it was too short and was 8'' lower than tank height,
so when mrs old lady had her next november fill of 1000Litres, it went above the tank tubes height, wasnt noticed by tanker dude, and dumped over 100L of oil into mrs old ladies vegetable garden.
yes, mrs old lady had put a clothes peg on the read plunger like most of them do to see the oil level from the kitchen window without having to go outside to pull the plunger to get true level, thus leaving the tube open for good old roman techknowledgy to take over!!

Oh dear.:rolleyes:
no need to talk about enviromental agencies view on this and soil disposal costs!!
make sure tubing is HIGHER than tank.
and doesnt need to be so high that it needs a red flashing light on it for aircraft!!
could put a flag on it tho!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid question but I assume that if the sight gauge is a push button one the I can change the tube without closing the gate valve that isolates it (if I do it means restarting the which is a pain) is that correct ?

as long as the button valve is still working, which often fail hence one reason why sight tubes are being phased out, ps this is an old thread you can start your own next time

Three and a half years down the line I think he'll have had it done by now, don't you?

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing Oil Tank Sight Tube Plastic Thing-a-me-jig wotsit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm a newbie to the Forum so very grateful for any advice received. I need to identify a valve (make and possibly model) that's...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First post here, so please be kind! I am currently having a lot of trouble with air and related noise in my open vented heating system...
Replies
Views
I've fitted a new fill valve on my toilet as the old one stopped working properly. In fitting the new one I've found the copper pipe that feeds...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock