Discuss changing a toilet syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
morning all just popped over from the tiling forum, since friday ive been trying to replace the syphon on my close couple toilet but it keeps leaking, ive bought a new close couple toilet kit but the one i took off is 50mm and it seems i can only get a 55mm kit? will this still do the job? plus i think i may of left a rubber washer off, should there be a washer where the metal bracket meets the bottom of the cistern? allso the donut rubber that came with the kit is far to big for the toilet pan do they come in different sizes? thanks in advance, and i dont think im going to be adding plumbing to my CV in a hurry....lol

i use a bit of silicone between pan and metal plate, no need for washer. yes donuts vary loads in shape and size and materiel. you should be ok...........

Rubber washer between syphon and cistern, did you do-up back nut ? if you still have old donut washer reuse that with some silicone, some of the older WCs had large sponge type washers. Welcome to the world of Plumbing.

No No No I hate seeing syphons basin wastes etc siliconed in looks like a DIYer has done the job.

Silicon is for sealing around your bath/basin etc not for anything else dont silicon the syphon in as if you ever have to change the syphon again it will make it harder as you will have to scrape all the silicon off. If you must use something use plumbers mait

I'm with kay jay on this a smear of silicone between cistern and plate. No silicone on the donut.

Use the Turbo 88 syphon, won't need to take cistern apart again.

those rubber donut washers that come with the kits can be a bit of a nightmare
you can buy the foam donut washers online which is the only place i can find that sells them

try toiletspares.co.uk

hi all, sorry but went with the first reply, had to get the toilet back on, and used silicone, and i reused the old donut as its half the size of the new one and cant see as it will fit, did it this morning and turned the water back on a couple of hours ago and so far so good....

thanks for the replys, whenever i attempt any plumbing i allways seem to get leaks, think i'll stick to tiling...:wink:

Last edited:
Foam washers are far superior as they compress much better. Get them from Plumbcall in Leeds in both sizes.

[DLMURL="http://www.plumbcall.com/product_489-1-45_Doughnut-Washers.htm"]Doughnut Washers - Toilet Accessories - PlumbCall - Plumbing and Heating Supplies In Leeds and Online[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to changing a toilet syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock