Search the forum,

Discuss CH pipes creaking for hours after heating turned off. Any ideas? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, recently moved into my first house and am fairly new to DIY.

I've been experiencing issues with banging and creaking central heating pipes since I moved in. I've now lagged and secured piping wherever I can access it which has fixed the issue to some degree however fitted wardrobes are causing complications with access in certain areas.

Now I understand that it's normal for pipes to expand and contract when heating and cooling however my pipes seem to creak even hours after the heating has been turned off. I've bled the radiators and can't seem to get any air out of them. Any ideas what could cause this at a point where the pipes should effectively be cool?

Thanks

Josh

Any ideas what could cause this at a point where the pipes should effectively be cool?
The cool pipes will be left in tension. The stick-slip release of this tension can take hours before everything stabilises.

The ideal solution is to design pipework that accommodates the expansion and contraction, e.g. dog-legs or corners, and mount pipes so that they don't rest directly on woodwork but have a pad, traditionally hemp lagging, that allows them to slide without sticking.

If you secured pipework without allowing for some sliding you may make matters worse, or you may get lucky.

Thanks for your response. It does see like I've traded the banging/clicking noises for this long running creaking! 🙄 Heatings been off about 8 hours and I'm still hearing it intermittently.

I did secure a long straight run of 3 22mm copper pipe using felt lagging on the notches on the joists along with some styrofoam tubing on the middle pipe to stop them from touching eachother and the floorboards above. I did have to stand on the floorboards to compress the foam down enough to screw the boards in so the pipes are effectively wedged between felt and foam (no clips used). I guess maybe the foam has put downwards tension on the pipes?

I would remove the foam and just just felt lagging

Reply to CH pipes creaking for hours after heating turned off. Any ideas? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
I have a growing damp patch on my ceiling, I initially assumed it must be from the empty flat above (and therefore cannot gain access), and have since used emergency cut off for that flat. I'm now wondering if it could a problem in my own flat, so cut a hole in the damp patch to investigate -...
Replies
Views
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to live in and we're having an issue with water not staying hot when the secondary return circuit is on. From a starting point of fully heated the...
Replies
Views
My heating system comprises an Ideal Logic 12 boiler located downstairs and a Gledhill OV SOL cylinder located upstairs . The problem is that when the Gledhill controls for the “hot water” and “central heading” are turned on the Ideal boiler makes a constant “clicking” noise and tries to start...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock