Discuss Ceramic cartridge - how long do they last?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjgreen60

Hi all

hopefully you guys will be able to help. Have a mixer tap in the kitchen which has developed a drip. It's a ceramic cartridge type and I've seen that on the whole you all seem to recommend replacing the taps rather than trying to hunt down the replacement cartridges. My question is though, how long should they last? We've only been in the house about 18 months and it was a brand new house!!

not sure on make or model as no markings on it but I can provide pics if it would help

thanks in advance

mj

It only takes the most miniscule bit of debris in the water supply to scratch the ceramic and it will leak.

Try taking the cartridge out and down to your local plumbers merchants, they may be able to offer a replacement.

generally we say replace the tap rather than the cartridge due to the time it takes to track the right one down.

If it is a new house is it not covered by the house builders?

Is there no branding on it at all, even at the back?

Personally I hate ceramic disc cartridges, if a customer wants a new tap, I always advise the usual 'screwdown type'. One thing that does knack them up quickly is high mains pressure. Its probably worth getting yours checked, if it is very high consider fitting a pressure reducing valve.
However and this is probably what up, ........it's a load more Chinese shi*e.

The ceramic cartridges might sometimes be covered under a warranty if you are lucky, but some are not. Some taps have a 5 year warranty which includes the ceramic cartridges!
If the tap is newish, as yours is & in good order, then I would take the head off & see if it fits a new cartridge (take a photo of cartridge also). Only takes a second to change the cartridge.
If you know the maker & model of tap, then as last resort order online.
Mains pressure does seem to affect the cartridges, but it seems some last 10 plus years & others only a couple.

Have you not got this information in your house pack ? new build probably water pressure to high, if builder is still on site try them for information on tap

Thanks for all the replies. Water pressure is 4 bar. Any thoughts??

am happy to replace it if needs be, have already had them off to inspect for obvious scratches etc but not seen anything

thanks again

Thanks for all the replies. Water pressure is 4 bar. Any thoughts??

am happy to replace it if needs be, have already had them off to inspect for obvious scratches etc but not seen anything

thanks again

As I said, the scratch can be almost invisible to the human eye. I had to get a magnifying glass on one to find the problem. Replacement is your best option if you can get the right ones.

4 bar, IMO is just a 'nats' to high but I would have said was just about acceptable. I look for 2.5 - 3 bar Personally unless you can identify the tap and maybe get replacement cartridges, I would change it for a screw-down type, look at taps like Bristan a bit pricey but they come with a 5 year warranty, or a tap from a merchants rather than a screwfix type cheapy.

So turns out after contacting builders that the taps are Leisure Aquadisc 2. Looking at their site the valves (guessing that's the ceramic cartridge??) are covered by warranty for 2 years so hopefully will be able to get it fixed for free!! Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ceramic cartridge - how long do they last?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then...
Replies
Views
This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is...
Replies
Views
This is probably obvious but I want to replace the cartridge to stop dripping. I have done similar before but I cannot work out how to remove the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I had a leaking basin mixer tap. The Methven brand tap was leaking through the top. I was able to source 2 new replacement ceramic cartridges...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock