Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Central heating puzzle - underfloor heating circuit. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HowardML

I'd like to try and get a better handle on what is ailing our central heating system. The problem is with the underfloor heating circuit.

The main system is a heat only Ideal Mexico HE30, with conventional expansion tank and hot water cylinder. It serves a hot water circuit, the house rads and the extension u/floor system. It has a Drayton (Ikon branded) LP 522 programmer which we know works. The room thermostat is new. It is a Drayton Digistat. This part of the system works just fine.

The underfloor heating is a nightmare. It runs (or rather doesn't) on a separate circuit with a separate zone valve. New Drayton Digistat RF3 system

The original installation was a botched job about 10 years ago. The underfloor circuit was an extension added to the existing system. We have just had the wiring sorted out and the wireless digistats/programmer installed in an attempt to make the system electrically safe (believe me it was a wiring tangle and mess) and to give us separate control of the two heating circuits - both timing and temperature.

The zone valve for the underfloor seemed to be faulty - the actuator motor was replaced last week too. The valve itself was checked and is opening and closing just fine

We have a local heating company engaged on this. I'm not trying to second guess them but I do need to get to the bottom of this in my own mind. I've called them again about this (well e-mail actually)

This morning (Thursday) I was awake early and I heard a thump from the boiler as the u/floor system came on (an hour earlier than the main system). The boiler ignition circuit was on (ICOS main board - light flashing) but the boiler had not lit (light should be on constantly). The boiler did light twice for a few moments and then switched back to "stand-by". This is an issue we have seen before and it was what partly prompted the re-wire of the system. The digistat was showing demand.

We overrode the system to bring the main heating circuit on early and the boiler lit, has stayed alight and we think the u/floor is warming up slowly (it has always been slow).

The main circulation pump seems not to be wired to the boiler. Our heating company tell me that they could not see a circuit within the boiler to do this. Only one pump (Grundfoss) for all three circuits (two heating and hot water)

Further history - the boiler was completely rebuilt by Ideal last year - the only surviving parts are the fan system and casing. It seems to be working OK. The wiring was tidied and the digistat controls were done within the last week after a heating failure during the early autumn as we restarted the system.

We discovered during the re-wire diagnostics that the two separate wired room stats had been botched as well. They were cross-wired in a way so that the underfloor stat only worked when the main system was running (if that makes sense). They are now on completely separate electrical circuits.

I feel lost and powerless in all of this. I know it is a job for the professionals but I do need to understand more.

Any advice appreciated. I'm not going to blunder in with my heating company but what we have done should have sorted this out but clearly someone is missing something - probably me.

looked at wiring and there is no pump wiring in the boiler evything will need to be done through a wiring centre. also there should be a pump on your underfloor circuit contained within its manifold

looked at wiring and there is no pump wiring in the boiler evything will need to be done through a wiring centre. also there should be a pump on your underfloor circuit contained within its manifold

Thank you. Appreciated. I've had a reply from my CH company. They want to replace the zone valve next week. The pump is wired through a wiring centre. That was part of the work done to tidying up the wiring last week. I have raised this very point with them as well. They did comment that the ufh should be separately pumped within the manifold and wondered why it wasn't. The motor that was replaced in the valve last week was the "synchronous motor".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating puzzle - underfloor heating circuit. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock