Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss central heating pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taylorhouse

Hi.

Can anybody please help.

We have a old central heating system that up to now has been ok. We normally hear the pump kick in when we turn it on, but now it's not the same. We are getting a humming sound throughout the house but it appears to be coming from the pump and only stops when we turn the heating off. Also, the pump itself is getting hot whilst turned on.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Are the radiators still heating up? Try to upload a picture of said pump and valves etc, maybe your 3 port valve is stuck or pump seized

Are the radiators still heating up? Try to upload a picture of said pump and valves etc, maybe your 3 port valve is stuck or pump seized

Hi not sure if rads are getting hot. Pump gets very hot after a few minutes of been turned on. 20161101_212056.jpg

Attachments

• 20161101_212102.jpg
    20161101_212102.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 56
time for new pump

Could you advise on which one would be suitable as a replacement.

I don't know if the rad's are getting hot as the pump is making a funny noise and get's very hot after a few minutes of been turned on , So i turned the system off as i did not want to cause any damage.

A hard thing to diagnose without typing an essay and a 30 second diagnosis standing in front of it. Let it run and see if your rads heat up. The worst thing its going to do is stop working altogether. Any 130mm pump will do it but it might not need one. It won't be easy to change for a diyer as it has fibre washers so the nuts are well tight.
Your pump is 32 years old btw so has lasted well.

It's an SMC so you can't try and spin start it it's either stuck or capacitor has gone.
Time for a new one so as above really ( tamz).

Last time I changed one of them I had to cut the union nuts off. Even 24's wouldn't shift them.

Last time I changed one of them I had to cut the union nuts off. Even 24's wouldn't shift them.

Been there !
It's worse when valves won't shut or those ridiculous quarter turn pump valves.....horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to central heating pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock