Discuss Central Heating circulation issue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Where was the pump installed when you had the stove?
on return . and behind cylinder there is two pipes going down straight to the stove , and another coil on the other side . So basically pipes on the right from rads was going behind boiler and down to the stove splitting into coil . So all i did basically is cut those pipes from stove and use the ones that on the left and new coil as well . its basically exactly how it was with the stove . Image on how it was and how it is now
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK , thanks, clear now,

Was there any particular reason for installing the new circ pump on the return but upstream of the cyl coil return, which required the NRV on the coil return (post #1) when you could have installed the pump downstream of the cylinder coil return and have a fully pumped system and have removed the NRV and installed a gate valve for balancing purposes, if required?. I can now see why removing the coil NRV stopped all circulation with that setup.

OK , "Second pump location only achieves limited rad circulation but only if cyl coil NRV installed," this is possibly because the cold feed is to the pump flow side but really shouldnt stop circulation but if you are OK to do it, I would relocate the pump & AAV as per post #26 and install a balancing gate valve in place of the coil NRV and then test the system again, you can just use the gate valve as a on/off valve for the cylinder coil, if the results are satisfactory then can look at installing other options re zoning.

Can you give me details of that new circ pump, name/model etc.

NO, STOP, looking at your set up you can't do it as I suggested as the pilpe on the right is NOT the flow from the boiler, its the flow pipe to the rads (hence my query), is that right.
this is the present set up, confirm if you agree.

Attachments

• MODS Present.jpg
    MODS Present.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 17
I am seeing TWO pumps now in post #8, time for the Jamesons.
post 8 is photoshoped as a example on where to place pump . post #34 basicaly all you wrote is correct . Bottom pipe on the left is return from rads to the boiler . top pipe from the left is from boiler and on the right is feed and into the radiator flow . the reason i installed like this because i had no space on the left side return to install pump after the boiler . so i installed before and put that NRV. also i noticed that on post #34 where it says pump direction market against the flow is that an error ?

In post #1 you can see the arrow on the pump pointing towards the wiring on the pump terminal box, in post #34 unless you have changed the pump head orientation then the pump is pumping upwards, is the arrow on the pump pointing upwards or downwards.

post 8 is photoshoped as a example on where to place pump . post #34 basicaly all you wrote is correct . Bottom pipe on the left is return from rads to the boiler . top pipe from the left is from boiler and on the right is feed and into the radiator flow . the reason i installed like this because i had no space on the left side return to install pump after the boiler . so i installed before and put that NRV

In post #1 you can see the arrow on the pump pointing towards the wiring on the pump terminal box, in post #34 unless you have changed the pump head orientation then the pump is pumping upwards, is the arrow on the pump pointing upwards or downwards.
in #1 picture thats where it was when i created the post and it was pumping to the left towards the boiler . but then Shaun said its in wrong location and i relocate based on picture on post #4 and now its pumping downwards . i rotate motor as well to original position . as in #1i had to rotate motor to move wire out of the way because doors was not closing , when moves upwards i moved back to original position . i can be confusing sometimes sorry #1 how it was #18 how it is now .

OK, thanks, that will work only on the rads as if/when you remove the cylinder coil NRV, the pump will be pulling on the coil hot pipe and the water from the coil cold pipe will then tend to be pulled in as well which will upset the whole circulation and no heat to the cylinder as well.

You could move the pump to before the coil hot pipe and you it will then circulate through the cylinder coil and the rads, only downside is that the cold feed will now be to the pump discharge and will result in negative pressure in parts of the system, you could then move the cold feed to the pump suction but better off with no horizontal runs which may be difficult to achieve or you could take a T from below the pump where its installed now and pipe that back into the coil flow (top) which may be the better option?

I would think that it should work if you install in the horizontal pipe just above it and shift the vent to the left of it, that way the cold feed is to the suction side of the pump and the whole system should operate at a positive pressure. As installed IMO, should still work but not the best as system will be at negative pressure in places.
Ideally, should have mot.valve and balancing valve on cylinder coil as cylinder temp will run at the boiler temperature otherwise.
Shaun is showing the pump on the flow from the boiler, pump pumping away from the boiler (correctly), but the above mod should achieve the same IMO.

Have you changed the pump settings?.
you mean like this ? the problem i would have this way that there would be not enough space to fit in pump unless i remove T and connect closer to vent going back to boiler flow
20221011_181208.jpg

Reply to Central Heating circulation issue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am sizing the central heating pipes for a complete replacement. The property has an elongated floor plan so I have used a piping layout...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock