Discuss Central heating boiler makes occasional "whining" sound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noisyboiler

As stated in the topic, my boiler occasionally (maybe once per hour) makes a loud, high-pitched sound. To me it sounds almost identical to a cat meowing only louder, to the point where when it first started I would go to the door to let my cat in every time it happened, lol. I'm pretty sure it's happening while the central heating is already in operation i.e. NOT when the central heating starts up. Both central heating and hot-water are still working fine.

I realise I almost certainly require a gas-registered plumber to actually fix it but I wanted to check with you guys because my landlord is USELESS at getting things done; if it fails tomorrow I'll probably be waiting a week before he gets someone here to sort it. I know he has an obligation to sort it but he basically doesn't give a monkey's and I'm not in a position to find somewhere new to live right now if he takes the hump at me hassling him over it. If it is likely to be something cheap I'm semi-inclined to just find my own plumber as I am disabled and NEED working central heating.

So, any ideas about what might be causing this occasional, weird, cat-meowing sound from my boiler? Is it a sign of imminent failure? Is it dangerous if it is not fixed immediately?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I meant to say so in the OP. It is a Baxi Combi 105e. Thanks for the reply Steve!

IIRC it was done early last year sometime so it is due anytime soon. It may even be a couple weeks overdue :/ I should start hassling the landlord but getting him to do anything literally takes weeks; I was without hot water for a month at one point (thankfully during July so cold showers weren't entirely unwelcome, but still).

Btw mods: I just noticed the edit to my OP because I used a swear-word. Friendly advice noted :)

The landlord will have to get the finger out.
It could be a few things.
Possibly the heat exchanger clogging up or the fan bearings wearing out.
Definitely need someone out, not a self fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating boiler makes occasional "whining" sound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back