Discuss Cavity Wall Smell Source in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ratrunner

Hi all,

Can you identify the plumbing objects in the picture below? Which one might be giving off a sewage like smell in to the wall cavity?

The extractor fan in our upstairs ensuite was giving off a horrible smell so I took it off the wall, put my iphone through the hole and took a photo of the wall cavity below to see what it could be. This is what I found and I have no clue what I am looking at. The fan works but it just extracts directly in to this cavity instead of being connected directly to the outside vent (which is out of shot but does exist).

The photo looks down to the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom and the extractor fan in that bathroom, on the right hand side, has been properly connected to a pipe that travels up and then outside.

Building is a two year old block of flats and we're on 2nd/3rd floor.

Thanks for your help
Mark

wall cavity plumbing small.jpg

hi welcome to the forums. as you surmise, the smells will be coming from the open soil pipe on the left. it should really be vented to atmosphere i.e. outside or if there is no way to do that then you could get an aav fitted to the open end which lets air in but not out. as the build is only two years old, i would contact the builders or their agents to sort this out.

Thanks Steve. I'll definately be asking for it to be vented outside or have an AAV fitted. They'll have to knock down some plaster to get to it though; going to be tricky.

So, is that soil pipe as open as it looks? As in, if I had a better zoom we'd actually be able to see waste water going past?? Is that even allowed? I mean, is this just a lazy but possible option, to have open soil pipes in wall cavities, or is it a complete oversight / mistake?

Thanks..

Hi there ratrunner . For the building only being 2 years old thats a real schoolboy error buy the plumber in question as surely someone (tradesman) wouldve noticed an unused tile vent . If youve access from where u took the picture u might manage to put in a section of 4" pipe (lubricated) straight into the socket thats open. Then like steve said u can either use a durgo AAV or vented to atmosphere. Good luck..

So, is that soil pipe as open as it looks? As in, if I had a better zoom we'd actually be able to see waste water going past?? Is that even allowed? I mean, is this just a lazy but possible option, to have open soil pipes in wall cavities, or is it a complete oversight / mistake?..
yes, it does seem to be as it looks, completely open!
is it allowed? of course not.
oversight/mistake? most definitely.

as said get in touch will the construction company and get this chased up.

looking at the photo the downtstairs bathroom fan seems to vent into the cavity which will lead to mould and wood rot and needs sorting as much as the soil pipe

typical new build installation. Best to buy a 400 year old house and do it up yourself.

contact the builder, if that does not go well contact the nhbc / 10year warranty provider.

Hi all,

Can you identify the plumbing objects in the picture below? Which one might be giving off a sewage like smell in to the wall cavity?

The extractor fan in our upstairs ensuite was giving off a horrible smell so I took it off the wall, put my iphone through the hole and took a photo of the wall cavity below to see what it could be. This is what I found and I have no clue what I am looking at. The fan works but it just extracts directly in to this cavity instead of being connected directly to the outside vent (which is out of shot but does exist).

The photo looks down to the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom and the extractor fan in that bathroom, on the right hand side, has been properly connected to a pipe that travels up and then outside.

Building is a two year old block of flats and we're on 2nd/3rd floor.

Thanks for your help
Mark

View attachment 19065
looks like you must have been standing on a toilet as I think that grey plastic box in the center of the pic is a concealed cistern. the bathroon fan you removed probably was vented to outside before you removed it as the rectangular plastic elbows that should have linked the fan to the ductwork or hole in the wall are now lying on the floor inside the boxing on the right of your pic. Definitely insist the stack gets properly finished and dont let them put in an aav. Make sure it vents to outside, aav's can cause more problems than they solve.

Last edited:
well done ratrunner this is one of the best posts yet. Brilliant picture detailed
accurately and a solution from the experts in a couple of posts CHK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cavity Wall Smell Source in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock