Search the forum,

Discuss Caustic Soda and Cleaning Cesspool in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My very old home has a stacked stone cesspool. The cesspool used to leach fairly well for years, but grease and sludge have built up over time, and the leaching started to fail. We pumped the cesspool and re-filled with water. My plumber added caustic soda to clean a significant amount of grease and sludge build-up. It's been 48 hours, and the water level in my cesspool hasn't gone down yet ... it is still pretty high ... and we haven't added much water to the system. My question is how long will caustic soda chemically react to dissolve grease and sludge? When will the grey water become inert, such that it would be safe to pump it if it gets too high? It is winter, so outside temps fluctuate between just below or above freezing.

Reply to Caustic Soda and Cleaning Cesspool in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock