Discuss cast iron again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauls

dont know how i keep getting them:(:D

i take it i can strap boss into cast iron stack and cutting into it is with a normal hole saw and carefuly does it

Yes with a decent holesaw and some patience you will be able to drill ithe stack getting a decent seal is another thing tho.... scraping the paint off and a light smear of clear silicon usually does the job .

further to the cast iron stack there is a branch on it with a cap on it, i want to run a soil pipe into it any tips on getting the caps off

My preferred means of making a hole in a cast iron stack is with a Rotabroach fitted with a magnetic clamp.

What sort of cap?

Hemp and paste is far better for sealing onto cast iron than silicone.

further to the cast iron stack there is a branch on it with a cap on it, i want to run a soil pipe into it any tips on getting the caps off
if its caulked lead youll need a good sized blowlamp to melt the lead out takes a while just keep heating and digging the lead out with a screw driver til its all out and the yarn will start to burn then tap it of
youll go home smelling like a bombfire mmm i can smell it now
it may have been cemented on if it was capped later in which case its a hammer small chisel,drill or whatever to break it out
unusualy to be caped as branches were normally socket ended in which case its a plug

My preferred means of making a hole in a cast iron stack is with a Rotabroach fitted with a magnetic clamp.

What sort of cap?

Hemp and paste is far better for sealing onto cast iron than silicone.

not sure i just looked up and noticed a cap over the branch and thought thats where i should be able to to run the soil into

ideal opportunity to quote for a new stack, first thing we do if theres a cast stack is advise a new stack extra work and all that.
unless its an old building they want to keep it

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cast iron again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock