Search the forum,

Discuss Career advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, the help and advice I got last time on this forum was invaluable so I`m here again to try and get some more of it! I have started my L2 6035 course at the start of the month with 2 nights of theory and 1 night of practical per week and im happy to say I am loving it but now i want more... I want to try and work in the trade as well, I have a plan and i just want to know if I`m making the right move or wasting my time. I passed my CITB health and safety and applied for a provisional CSCS card which arrived yesterday so the plan is to get "on site" as a general labourer and try and worm my self in with the plumbers. But even still i thought some site experience would do me some good. So the question is... Is this worth doing or is there a better tried and tested way.

I live in Wolverhampton and I'm 26. I started out as a mechanic and I've done some foreigners on the side including some plumbing work. I'm quite impatient as I'm kicking myself for not taking this path years ago, I want to make up for some lost time and commit myself to the trade, I know I will have to start at the bottom so the sooner I can get hands on the sooner I can start moving up the food chain.

Thanks guys

Trying to get on with a plumber would be a better strategy in terms of the speed of your progression.

Search the forum there are lots of ideas on how to sell yourself to a plumber. Popular ones seem to be flyers in the merchants/ loiter outside offer free labour for a trial period etc

I would exhaust these options first before labouring.

Yes it certainly would be a better option and I would work for free just for experience if I could but I need to be earning, I've got bills to pay! A house, a car, a baby on the way. I know it would be near impossible to get a plumber taking me on even on minimum wage. The only thing I can think of is to hold another job until I pass my diploma and then try my luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock