Search the forum,

Discuss Career advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening all,

I've been looking into a career now for sometime, I initially had three options, one being a carpentry course, a plumbing course and the other body shop repair. The first and latter have been ruled out mainly because I am a 34 year old male with financial commitments so need to maintain my Current full time employment. I appreciate that at 34 I have left it somewhat late in the day and the boat may have already sailed. However I'm unhappy in my work and looking to build a better future and career. I understand that you might get this a lot on here and I apologise a lot but google searching seems to only present what seems empty promises and scams.
Im looking for a part time course that I can do over time to gain the relevant qualifications I need. a nvq level 2 from what I cant tell from reading. Can anyone recommend a company or somewhere where I can undergo this training ? I also appreciate that after that id need to find work so what would my chances be , by that I mean qualified but with no experiance.

again I apologise in advance if you get this a lot but google searching really is a mine field. I hope you can help?

Thanks in advance and Happy new year.

Kev

Good evening all,

I've been looking into a career now for sometime, I initially had three options, one being a carpentry course, a plumbing course and the other body shop repair. The first and latter have been ruled out mainly because I am a 34 year old male with financial commitments so need to maintain my Current full time employment. I appreciate that at 34 I have left it somewhat late in the day and the boat may have already sailed. However I'm unhappy in my work and looking to build a better future and career. I understand that you might get this a lot on here and I apologise a lot but google searching seems to only present what seems empty promises and scams.
Im looking for a part time course that I can do over time to gain the relevant qualifications I need. a nvq level 2 from what I cant tell from reading. Can anyone recommend a company or somewhere where I can undergo this training ? I also appreciate that after that id need to find work so what would my chances be , by that I mean qualified but with no experiance.

again I apologise in advance if you get this a lot but google searching really is a mine field. I hope you can help?

Thanks in advance and Happy new year.

Kev
Look , there is nothing stopping you only yourself, everybody on here started somehere. You can try plumbing without any prior qualifications, gas etc needs loads of knowledge and certificates etc. I dont know what you do at present, but if you want to work hard , get really mucky and often get no thanks , run your own business ,own own van do ur income tax and n.I. ...often invest up,to £1000 + in jobs to get paid £2000 then join us
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Look , there is nothing stopping you only yourself, everybody on here started somehere. You can try plumbing without any prior qualifications, gas etc needs loads of knowledge and certificates etc. I dont know what you do at present, but if you want to work hard , get really mucky and often get no thanks , run your own business ,own own van do ur income tax and n.I. ...often invest up,to £1000 + in jobs to get paid £2000 then join us
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

you need to know the basics so either go as a mate or do a lv1 or lv2 in plumbing

if you want a quick start and money coming in plumbing might not be the best joinery might be more down your street

if you say you cant commit to that as you say you cant do the plumbing course as its more involved and getting started is harder

you can get part time courses in tiling and plastering not much outlay on the plastering side so easy money

Hi Kev
This might come across as harsh but do some more research & stop to think about the trades you are considering. You are possible close to half way through your working life & fancy a change, what is it "working with your hands & being your own boss that appeals ???

Now the reality - you can't learn Plumbing at a college or training centre &/or out of a book (I should know I teach it).
A trade by its nature requires you to be doing it on a daily basis & then the college training enhances & provides the technical knowledge that goes with the installation hand / eye skills, there just isn't the time in a 4 year day release course to start from scratch & a workshop can never be a substitute for the real world of plumbing.
BTW you can't achieve an NVQ with out working (on a range of systems).
This is why you will not find any FE colleges offering part time courses nor will you find any employers who will take you on without experience no matter how many pieces of paper you have.

Now awake from your day dream, do not be taken in by the promises of a Plumbing career in exchange for thousands of £ of your cash.

I look at the hard work & effort my students are putting in & get quite insulted by your suggestion that all it takes is a part time 2 bit course where you can continue to earn a living, most of them have been earning £100 a week while training.

I look at the hard work & effort my students are putting in & get quite insulted by your suggestion that all it takes is a part time 2 bit course where you can continue to earn a living, most of them have been earning £100 a week while training.
Takes me back to my 1st year out of school, it was 1st year of YTS... £25 week!

Reply to Career advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock