Search the forum,

Discuss Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarah1986

Hi All,

I am after some advise really I have tried to search the web but cannot see my answer.

We found out our gas fire was leaking gas, it had been serviced only a few months before, so I am hoping it started leaking after, anyway it was condemmed and a new one has been installed today, it worries me the plumber who has fitted it may have missed the previous gas leak, so I am concious of where my carbon monoxide alarm is placed.

I have a gas fire sat within a fire surround, my carbon monoxide alarm is currently sat on top of the mantle piece around chest height, is it ok here or should it be moved somehwre different? I dont have any shelves in my room nor can fix things to the wall as it is rented, I have a small coffee table which is directly infront of the fire!!

Any advice would be helpful to put my mind at rest.

Thanks
Sarah

A carbon monoxide alarm will not detect a gas leak for a start...

If the plumber was gas safe registered he should have done all the necessary checks to confirm its working correctly & Gas tightness test would have been completed at the gas meter to test for gas leaks.

As for the location of your carbon monoxide alarm, the instructions supplied are best to be followed if you have them?

Hi,

I know it wont detect gas leaks, I want it to detect any carbon monoxide. I do not have the instructions anymore they just stated to put it within 1m-3m of the appliance, but it didnt answer if I was ok to put it on my mantle piece above the fire.

Thanks

Ideally it should be around head height and 1-3m away from the appliance.

But then needs must. Any protection is better than no protection.

If your property is rented it is a legal requirement (since 1st October 2015) for the landlord to install a Carbon Monoxide detector if there are any gas appliances or other potential sources of Carbon Monoxide. I think your approach should be:

a. Try and get the landlord to install a new one, unless the existing one is his / hers and is in date. Most last 5 or 7 years (the sensors, not the batteries) and should be dated on installation.
b. If that doesn't happen, buy a new one so you get some instructions and mount it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. If this means drilling the walls, point out in writing to your landlord that it needs to be done, and that if he / she won't fulfil their legal obligations they'd be ill advised to complain about a couple of small screws in the wall.
c. Or possibly look up the details of the existing one (again if it is still within date) on the internet and proceed as at b. above.

Last edited:
If your property is rented it is a legal requirement (since 1st October 2015) for the landlord to install a Carbon Monoxide detector if there are any gas appliances or other potential sources of Carbon Monoxide. I think your approach should be:

a. Try and get the landlord to install a new one, unless the existing one is his / hers and is in date. Most last 5 or 7 years (the sensors, not the batteries) and should be dated on installation.
b. If that doesn't happen, buy a new one so you get some instructions and mount it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. If this means drilling the walls, point out in writing to your landlord that it needs to be done, and that if he / she won't fulfil their legal obligations they'd be ill advised to complain about a couple of small screws in the wall.
c. Or possibly look up the details of the existing one (again if it is still within date) on the internet and proceed as at b. above.

Almost correct.

Solid fuel appliances. Anything else is advised only.

Croppie is absolutely right. Not a requirement without solid fuel appliances, so need to approach landlord with care!

And I've just installed five of them thinking it was compulsory - still I suppose better safe than sorry.

Hi All,

I am after some advise really I have tried to search the web but cannot see my answer.

We found out our gas fire was leaking gas, it had been serviced only a few months before, so I am hoping it started leaking after, anyway it was condemmed and a new one has been installed today, it worries me the plumber who has fitted it may have missed the previous gas leak, so I am concious of where my carbon monoxide alarm is placed.

I have a gas fire sat within a fire surround, my carbon monoxide alarm is currently sat on top of the mantle piece around chest height, is it ok here or should it be moved somehwre different? I dont have any shelves in my room nor can fix things to the wall as it is rented, I have a small coffee table which is directly infront of the fire!!

Any advice would be helpful to put my mind at rest.

Thanks
Sarah

A carbon monoxide alarm will not detect a gas leak, it only detects carbon monoxide present in the air. When your gas fitter installed your fire he should have carried out gas safety checks before and after the installation. If you are worried or can smell gas you need to call out an engineer asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock