Discuss Can't get rid of the smell of gas sewerage leak, under my kitchen sink. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Dan 1990, many thanks for your informative reply, in my little knowledge, all that you say, sounds very logical and a good way of eliminating and narrowing down the problem.
[automerge]1595795120[/automerge]
Thanks Mdljk

Last edited:
Last time I had this problem I traced it to a large hole, gnawed by a rat, in the 1 1/2” as it passed through the cavity wall to outside and into soil stack. This was on top of the pipe and so very rarely leaked.

Hi Ben-gee, thanks for your reply, can't pretend this thought has already run through my head. Can only hope my landlord, tells his workmen to do a thorough investigation, next time they visit, as all this is totally knew to me and the more I learn, I realise the less I know!!

Another time a nasty drain smell turned out to be 1/2 lb of mince beef put into a microwave to defrost and forgotten about!

That I traced with my considerable hooter, when I opened the door I gagged and my eyes were watering...f**kwit tax had to be added to that job.

Another time a nasty drain smell turned out to be 1/2 lb of mince beef put into a microwave to defrost and forgotten about!

That I traced with my considerable hooter, when I opened the door I gagged and my eyes were watering...f**kwit tax had to be added to that job.

Was there all kinds growing on it as well? 🤢🤢🤢

Good news!!......continuing to use baking powder and white vinegar the last few days. Finally the smell has gone completely.
Many thanks for all your patience, help and support, whilst I was trying to get this problem resolved, it really was appreciated. stay safe.

I had a kitchen sink waste trap smell for a long time. I took out all the waste pipes underneath the sink and cleaned them all , there was a little bit of gunge stuck in them. Still had the smell now and then ,more so when any hot water went down the sink. I was convinced that the u bend was holding water o.k so was baffled as to the problem. I could not find a forum or website with the answer to my problem which is why I'm writing this. It turned out to be my sink waste, I can only assume that the original seal or plumbers mait had slowly washed away to the extent that food particles fed into the gap between top and bottom section of the waste. There was no obvious sign of this happening and I can only assume that when anything hot went down the sink the gap must have expanded a fraction ,just enough to let crap into the gap. It was only by pure chance and a suggestion from my wife that as a last resort I would fit a new waste trap. when I removed the old one it immediately became obvious that this was where the smell originated. there was a layer of black smelly gunge where the seal was. Fitted new trap and no smell at all, fantastic. I must point out that the original seal or putty cannot have washed away completely as I never had a leak underneath the sink.

Reply to Can't get rid of the smell of gas sewerage leak, under my kitchen sink. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back