Discuss Can't get rid of the smell of gas sewerage leak, under my kitchen sink. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys and to all of you, that have replied.
Re... Stigster......smell definitely not coming up through plughole. I hear what you say about hidden places and what could be lurking behind my unit. Will if necessary, push my landlord and workmen to explore there. Thank you.
Re....gpbeck and Aquarius....Thanks. tend to agree with you and have thought this for some time. There is nothing under the unit and no smell. Back of the unit is against plastered brick wall and cavity, where waste pipe from my kitchen, joins waste pipe from upstairs kitchen, that comes down past my flat to ground floor flat, to their bathroom and out.
Workman last friday, when he disassembled all white pipes, told me there was a real bad stink coming from my waste pipe that leads out into the cavity in the wall and connects up with piping, I presume from upstairs and downstairs.
In my ignorance I could be well be wrong, but that is where I believe, the really bad stink (like sewerage gas) is coming from.
After the weekend, I intend to ask my landlord and his workmen to replace all my white pipes and waste pipe, with all new pipes, with all new seals, etc...this way eliminating any defects, etc.....all the current plumbing, I have had no problems, whatsoever for 13 years.....so trust the workmen to assemble everything correctly.
Then if problem persists, think it will become quite evident, that the smell is coming from behind my cupboard and
that is hole in back of my cupboard, where my waste pipe goes out of my flat and into building cavity wall and joining other piping!!.
Many thanks to you all guys, for your ongoing support, ideas and assistance, it really is appreciated.
Whereby as regards, all that I've just said, please do correct me and put me straight, if I'm way off the mark here and what I'm thinking.
[automerge]1595721044[/automerge]
Hi Guys,
Trying my best to use a process of elimination here, so here goes. Remember I've had no problems at all for 13 years with my current plumbing, ok.
(1) No smell of any kind comes up through my plughole, so that rules out overflow pipe (black corrugated pipe)
(2) Remember I never use my washing machine, but did last week, but workmen fixed that and totally eliminated the NEW SMELL problem, caused by washing machine (scroll back through my earlier posts if necessary, thank you).
So think that eliminates, all pipes to do with my washing machine.
(3) Which only leaves white pipes and waste pipe going out of my flat, somewhere?
(4) If all white pipes are replaced and fitted properly, plus new waste pipe and fitted properly, going out of my flat somewhere? (where ever)
(5) I can only deduce, where ever my waste pipe goes out of my flat, the smell comes back in through my waste pipe from where ever?
(6) The "where ever" being. Would my waste pipe, be connected up to the upstairs flat and their waste pipe (from their kitchen, which is above me) and pass my middle floor flat (in what I call the hidden cavity wall) to connect up with the ground floor waste pipe in their toilet and bathroom, that is beneath me?
(7) And where does this waste pipe eventually go from there, I presume next stop is the sewer.
(8) Only problem with my theory is, both upstairs and downstairs flats, have assured me that they, have not got any bad smell in their kitchen (above me) or bathroom (below me).
Thank you kindly guys, for all your ongoing support, help and patience with me!! Really appreciated.
[automerge]1595751033[/automerge]
Only other thought being, with the constant smell of what seems to me, to be like sewerage gas, could the SVP Soil Ventilation Pipe in the building be clogged up?

Last edited:
I had a similar problem once and tried everything I could think of before I realised that the ‘CONDENSATE’ pipe from the Combi boiler had been gravity fed into a vertical waste pipe going in to the pipework under the sink but WITHOUT any u-bend The smell was due to there being no water seal via a u-bend trap for the vertical pipe. Because of this back pressure of gas from the drains was coming back up around the condensate pipe. To avoid re-Plumbing I simply packed around the smaller condensate pipe with a plastic bag. This sealed the arrangement. No more smell. Check to see if the white plastic condensate pipe 22mm is doing something similar. I can’t see anything like this actually in your photo but Just a thought....

Hi WC1, thanks for your reply, just when I think I've more or less pinned down the source, it seems to jump about, but on the whole, I think I'm getting closer. Used to think, that it was coming from behind the cupboard. But now it seems to be coming from both seals on the U-bend and occasionally outside the cupboard, at the same level as my head.

Disconnect the U-bend and remove any stagnant water remaining in the sink overflow and washing machine waste pipe. Buy a 40mm compression blanking cap and fit it on the pipe coming out of the wall. Ventilate the kitchen and wait to see if the smell returns. If the smell is still there then it must be a leaky pipe in the wall cavity.

Reply to Can't get rid of the smell of gas sewerage leak, under my kitchen sink. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock