Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Can landlord remove gas pipes without tenant's permission? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ic24

Hi

I live in rented accommodation in a block of flats (local authority). In my tenancy agreement the landlord undertakes to keep in repair and proper working order any installation provide for the supply of water, gas and electricity. The local authority has been removing gas pipies from other flats as tenants move out. I suspect they may want to remove mine.

Does my landlord (local authority) have the right to remove the supply of gas to my flat if they choose to? Has anybody had a similar problem?

Thanks

Why are they removing the gas pipes? Are they installing a new run?

As long as its done by a gas safe operative then of course they can ,alot of flats now are built without a gas supply . End of the day its not your property and landlord choses to have no gas there and replaces heating with electric heaters for example then you cant really complain .

the tenancy rights in Scotland allow an existing tenant "the right" to maintain the services they agreed to at the start of their tenancy, so a lot of Local Authority and HA's are taking the opportunity to remove gas fires when a property is empty, when someone views and knows the gas fire has been removed because they know the properties then the housing simply say "take it or leave it, you are a new tenant" with existing tenancy agrements it is more bother than it is worth to force a tenant to allow the gas to be removed, but when they are fitting new heating they say it is part of the contract that the combi and new rads go in with an electric fire or you keep your old heating take it or leave it, the tenancy agreement says the housing will supply reasonable hot water and heating to the main room, this has been checked and can be a 3kw electric fire and an immersor, so beware of making demands that might back fire

I'm in England, working for a housing association. What Kirk says pretty much follows what we would do too. We don't take away existing services from tenants unless there is an over-whelming danger or misuse.

Thanks. I use gas for cooking only. I have a gas cooker and would like to continue using gas.

Recently National Grid put a card through my door asking me to contact them regarding "riser cut off". I don't know what this means but wondered if landlord had asked them to remove gas pipes?

When council workers have been in my property to carry out other repairs they are always extremely surprised I have gas pipes and advised me to keep quiet about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can landlord remove gas pipes without tenant's permission? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock