Search the forum,

Discuss Can I stick coat hanger up this pipe if I remove it from pump as magnet sticks to it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone.....thanks in advance for any help with this. Replaced some trv valves on downstairs radiators...( two down and 3 upsatirs) no heating now for 3 days.

F and e tank empty at mo.

I have a small magnet on pipe above pump and it sticks all the way from pump to the t junction.

When heating on the pipe is hot but thinking not enough flow to pump.

Could I remove the screw on pump and stick coat hanger up to see if I can dislodge and catch what ever falls out.

Will I have enough gap from pump if I remove nut to get at pipe.

Having trouble removing nut on pump to even get access to pipe. As whole thing keeps moving...

Image shows little magnet on pipe and pump.

Also I had removed pipe below pump as magnet stuck on it and now cleaned the water gets hot in pipe below pump and magnet not sticking to it...however the valve at bottom leaking....what is that valve for?

Thanks for spending time reading...appreciate as mother in law arrives on Friday night and I an hear the complaints already if the house is freezing.

Learning as I go...

15409810385626054874845796950625.jpg

15409811176532876246253730218615.jpg

The valve appears to be a mechanical valve actuated by a remote sensor strapped to the cylinder. A Drayton tap-stat. As the cylinder heats up, the valve shuts off, thus preventing the water overheating.

I don't understand the rest of your post. There is obviously sludge in the system, and if you want to poke about with a bit of wire, I can't see what harm you can do (though you'll need to remove the pump valves to get any access to the pipes at all - check the valves are fully open while you're about it), but I do not understand the rest. If there is no water in the system, then obviously there will be no flow.

Is the pump spinning okay (you won't really be able to tell unless it has water in it due to water lubricated bearings) and is the impeller in good order? Otherwise you'll obviously have flow issues.

Did the F & E drain down okay when you emptied the system or was it very very slow to drain? I'm wondering if the cold feed is obstructed.

FWIW, this system seems to be in generally in poor state with leaks all over the place.

Those pump valves are so you can remove and replace the pump in situ, it's a little bunged up and you need the right tools. If there's that much ferrite in your system it could do with a clean that's for sure.

I was going to say you are better off cutting out the air separator and piping it better

WhhhAa...magnet sticks on pipework from pump to t piece??? Well it would wouldn't it as it's copper pipe...

Your f+e shouldn't be empty...
Magnets are not attracted to copper, only ferrous metals such as iron and steel. Try it with clean copper tube if you doubt this.

By sticking a magnet to the pipe the OP has revealed that the pipe is obviously internally caked in iron oxides.

Reply to Can I stick coat hanger up this pipe if I remove it from pump as magnet sticks to it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock