Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody who is willing to service there own boiler when not competent to do so wont care either way what the regs state, muggers know its against the law to mug somebody..... do they care?

anybody who is willing to service there own boiler when not competent to do so wont care either way what the regs state, muggers know its against the law to mug somebody..... do they care?

I think this thread is weather you can service your own boiler if competant but not registered

Think the answer is no,coz after so many posts and the length of time of discussion,think the boiler is past servicing and replacement now required

so can op replace his own boiler without.................

as puddle states does it really matter?
In reality i come across so much gas diy its unreal and what do gas safe do???
nothing!!!
So its irrelevant because people will service there own boiler competant or not .

I think this thread is weather you can service your own boiler if competant but not registered

I was mearly saying that if somebody who is unregistered wants to service there own boiler they are unlikely to care what and how its written in the regulations. Any competent person will be registered and working in the industry, if you are not then why be bothered whats written down as you dont care enough to follow it anyway.

as puddle states does it really matter?
In reality i come across so much gas diy its unreal and what do gas safe do???
nothing!!!
So its irrelevant because people will service there own boiler competant or not .

wouldnt say its irrelevant just because some people dont abide, like suggesting pointless having speeding laws because some people speed

I was mearly saying that if somebody who is unregistered wants to service there own boiler they are unlikely to care what and how its written in the regulations. Any competent person will be registered and working in the industry, if you are not then why be bothered whats written down as you dont care enough to follow it anyway.

not all competent people are registered

I can't believe I've allowed myself to be sucked into this, but ...

Those that are looking for GSIUR 1998, it can be found here: Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances - L56

I would suggest pages 25 & 26, paying CLOSE attention to guidance points 45 & 47.

You mean these? Which seem to support what I have been saying, however RoryD quoted something else, could RoryD tell us were this quote came from please

45 Anyone who does work on a gas fitting or gas storage vessel must be
competent to do so, whether or not they are required to be a member of
an approved class of persons. Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and
those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required
competence. The level and range of competence should match the full extent of
work done, but needs only to be sufficient for and relevant to that work. Employers
of gas fitting operatives are also required under regulation 3(2) to ensure that their
employees have the required competence for the work undertaken; in addition to
ensuring they are properly experienced and trained (see paragraph 47), this involves
ongoing monitoring of performance standards, as necessary.

47 Competence depends on a combination of training and experience. The
ACOP Standards of training in safe gas installation provides guidance both on
the scope of training and the need for proper assessment/reassessment of gas
fitting operatives (see Appendix 4). Although failure to observe any provision of the
Code is not in itself an offence, that failure may be taken by a Court in criminal
proceedings as proof that a person has contravened a particular regulation.
The ACOP extends to gas installation work at premises excluded from these
Regulations but subject to the HSW Act sections 2 and 3 – see paragraph 42 and
Appendix 3. The nationally accredited certification scheme introduced in January
1998 requires individual gas fitting operatives to have their competence assessed
at five-yearly intervals by a certification body accredited by the United Kingdom
Accreditation Service (UKAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
I have a friend who has offered to fit my new boiler to save on costs. He is competent but is retired and no longer gas safe registered. Is he...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
W
Help. I am trying to sell my house and just discovered from local searches that my plumber - who WAS Oftec registered when he installed the...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock