Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Can I drill into this cast iron waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Im moving the washing machine into the garage so need to connect the drainage hose to the waste pipe. Can i drill a hole and fit a standard connector to the caste iron pipe or will i need to replace the waste pipe with a plastic one?

Attachments

• IMG_20170108_084723684.jpg
    IMG_20170108_084723684.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 78
You can drill into cast no problem. Use a 57mm bi-metal holesaw, go slowly, and use plenty of lubricating oil. Then attach one of these:

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-mechanical-pipe-boss-connector-black-40mm/55722.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using the Starett SM holesaws. Not cheap but they will drill stainless steel as well as other metals. Cheaper hole saws will struggle as we have found out before!

You can but I would say it's better to cut the cast 300mm above the finished floor with a angle grinder and add a 110mm x 11/2" boss pipe adaptor you can fit a rubber transion coupling from one material to the other a short length of 110mm soil and a slip coupling a good smear of silicone grease so you can slide into place add the washing machine trap plumbing job done screwfix sell all you need good luck

:iagree:
That would be my choice, hit a bit of silica in that cast iron & you will be drilling all day.

I am not sure those bosses can take a washing machine waste, I thought they were just for condensate connections Masood?
Have you used one before for this?

PS. Good luck on your first day tomorrow Mas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I drill into this cast iron waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what...
Replies
Views
I have moved our washing machine into the garage but there isn’t a drain for the waste pipe. The attached image is of the waste pipe with the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Helping a friend, his soil stack is cast iron. The bath and basin wastes (all removed now) went into individual entries on the stack. These...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock