Discuss Can I claim costs on this legally? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So I'm thinking of starting to supply and install underfloor heating. Currently we just do plumbing and boilers.

If if I were to install underfloor heating in my house throughout as an experiment to ensure its something that is something that will benefit the business of i were to get into it.

I.e, the time it takes to install, if it would be profitable/beneficial for the business, see if it's the male of the system is a manufacturer we want to deal with in the future on customers houses etc, if it's something that we can build into the business etc.

would that be something that the company could pay for and I would not personally be taxed on the cost of the work as I am doing it to benefit the business in the long run. Obviously as its in my own home I would personally benefit also.

I I don't want to do anything illegal but I can't really find any info on it.

So effectively you're looking for a FREEBIE & you want the tax man to foot the bill? No. It won't work. You have to pay for it out of your own pocket

If you have a limited company, it could make a huge loss on your house and offset it against other works. Hope carpets don't get damaged, otherwise company might have to replace with new.

I am think of diversifying into the following areas -

Kitchens
Bathroooms with wet rooms (tanking)
Solar hot water
swimming pools
PV

My house could really be a proper test bed for you to work on!!

Just buy the kit through the company & fit it lol... Like the rest of us would

could it be classed as research and development.

I think so ;). I'm thinking of going into Groundskurce, Airsource and all that 'Green' technology stuff but as my company has done nothing like it b4, I'd like to use my house as a "test" then bill everything through the company?
Trouble is: The tax man will take a dim view of it. Infact, it may open you and your company up to a massive investigation goong back years: as the tax man may suspect you've used the method in the past to reduce company profits and evade tax. The stress would be unbearable, honest. Just pay for it & charge your company a "Consultancy" Fee.

I think so ;). I'm thinking of going into Groundskurce, Airsource and all that 'Green' technology stuff but as my company has done nothing like it b4, I'd like to use my house as a "test" then bill everything through the company?
Trouble is: The tax man will take a dim view of it. Infact, it may open you and your company up to a massive investigation goong back years: as the tax man may suspect you've used the method in the past to reduce company profits and evade tax. The stress would be unbearable, honest. Just pay for it & charge your company a "Consultancy" Fee.
Fair point.
You could just ring hrmc and ask em. At least then you'll get an answer one way or the other.

Okay I'll avoid that then ha ha.

Not worth the risk of its not allowed.

I thought that would be the case but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I claim costs on this legally? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock