Discuss Can I add a small electric boiler in parallel with my central heating? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

It will increase in Winter and probably quite dramatically. Some statistics suggest to around a 1/5 of max output so that may be 10 hours to heat the the HW in your current configurtion on it's worst day. The trouble is when you want the supplemental heating on most is when your array will least be able to provide it.

You use hot water all year round and pos more in summer. I really don't understand why this is even a question or why people are so obsessed with storing electric in expensive (high loss) batteries.
Use PV to heat domestic hot water.
After that if you've got a surplus that your not using then look at other options like a battery or Thermal store...?
At the very least you'll need a much smaller battery!
I find it so obvious that anything else is annoying.

Am I missing something?

You use hot water all year round and pos more in summer. I really don't understand why this is even a question or why people are so obsessed with storing electric in expensive (high loss) batteries.
Use PV to heat domestic hot water.
After that if you've got a surplus that your not using then look at other options like a battery or Thermal store...?
At the very least you'll need a much smaller battery!
I find it so obvious that anything else is annoying.

Am I missing something?

High loss battery can you explain?

The charging and discharging of batteries is going to be atleast 5-10% less efficient than use directly as a heat source.
Then the cost of the battery and degradation.
Don't even get me started on the environmental implications.
Just heat water with it, then heat other stuff.
When you've nothing left to heat, feed it back to the grid (or get smaller bank of battery's).
Maybe if you've got an electric car and are wanting to safeguard against pos energy supply issues, or want to go off grid - look at battery's first and work back.

For this system when heating is required you could have an inline electric heater (like a pool heater) and just constantly have it running, providing background heating whenever the panels are producing enough to run the pump.

Am I missing something?
Simples, as with wind energy production we can't always use all we produce nor do we always generate when we need. Electrical storage is the buffer that will allows us to move away from relying on fossil fuel use and at a domestic level that could be in the form of an EV or battery pack (like Tesla's power wall or Eddi's Libi device) which will of course have to be fully integrated.

Reply to Can I add a small electric boiler in parallel with my central heating? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock