Search the forum,

Discuss Buying New Tools. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marples

Hi, I've not long since started as an apprentice and just wondering if i should buy my own tools or use the companies. They don't mind me using the tools because they have more than enough.

If the answer is yes, how much roughly will it cost for a good full toolbox and torch etc....
My wage is fairly minimum so can't afford to spend ££££'s or should i be buying little bits at a time say £30-50 a week.

Oh and the majority of work will be on heating side, Solid fuel, Oil etc.
Thanks in advance.

Best bet is to use the company tools and see what you are using on a daily basis, then start buying those tools for yourself.

Buy a little when you get paid each month, and buy the best. You may need to save for 2 months for a spanner, but it will probably last if maintained and looked after.

Ask the lads which brand of tools they use and ask if you can use them for a job and see how they feel in your hand.

i think as a general opinion on this forum:

Knipex Cobra grips
Bahco spanners
Rothenberger Super Fire 2 torch

I like Stanley Fatmax screwdrivers, and the blue BG toolboxes are pretty good.

Best bet is to use the company tools and see what you are using on a daily basis, then start buying those tools for yourself.

Buy a little when you get paid each month, and buy the best. You may need to save for 2 months for a spanner, but it will probably last if maintained and looked after.

Ask the lads which brand of tools they use and ask if you can use them for a job and see how they feel in your hand.

Knipex Cobra grips
Bahco spanners

Wise words. If you have the opportunity to use a variety of tools, take it. See what feels right in your hand. I'm sure most of us on here have tools they don't use as they just don't feel right. Buy quality gear but don't bankrupt yourself, do it slowly.

Knipex Cobra grips
Bahco spanners

Thanks, i think i'll do that. We are also a small plumbing merchant aswell so i can buy the tools i need (if i need) from the company slightly less than trade.

Hopefully should have the perfect selection once qualified. Thanks again.

I always think/justify buying new tools as they are an investment, buy good quality tools and they will last if you've got the option to use your companys tools do so untill you can afford deccent tools that will last, that's what ive been doing for the past 3 years and ive got a hole van full now,

Marples, my advice is to ask Masood for all his unwanted tools, and as he is so nice he will probably pay the postage too

If you have the opportunity to buy cheap, good quality, tools then use it.

Make sure you have yourself fully kitted up before you finish your apprenticeship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying New Tools. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock