Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss burning question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumdum

health & safety advise no use of blowtorch in the loft space.
Does anyone use a blowtorch in the loft space?
if not what do you prefer compression or push-fit fittings?

Yes but I have a fire extinguisher to hand and remove all combustibles from the area. Don't leave the job until a couple of hours after you've finished it, same as lead burning.

I think you could also buy a kitchen fire blanket if you're worried about drops of solder. Remember lay your blowtorch down after use and not stand it up in case you knock it over when it's really hot.

health & safety advise no use of blowtorch in the loft space.
Does anyone use a blowtorch in the loft space?
if not what do you prefer compression or push-fit fittings?
use a push fit if its down in the eaves, sod trying to get a pair of grips on a fitting at full arms stretch, unless gas of course.

use a push fit if its down in the eaves, sod trying to get a pair of grips on a fitting at full arms stretch, unless gas of course.

i would always advise to bend as much loft pipework as possible, especially into the eaves, a fitting in the eaves is a potential burst pipe in the winter, i appreciate it is difficult to bend pipe into the eaves but thats what seperates the pro from the DIY

i would always advise to bend as much loft pipework as possible, especially into the eaves, a fitting in the eaves is a potential burst pipe in the winter, i appreciate it is difficult to bend pipe into the eaves but thats what seperates the pro from the DIY

A fitting in the eaves is a potential burst fitting in the eaves, a solderd/bent pipe in the eaves is a potential burst pipe in the eaves.

I tend to worry about stuff, I tend to go overboard, if it small bits I'm quite happy soldering outside the house etc. If I do it in someones house, I'll have a soldering mat, fire extinguisher and a blanket (and burns cream) nearby.

There's a large house not to far away from me and they were having a new bathroom fitted, apparently, the plumbers were soldering in the bathroom, a couple of sparks went into the insulation everyone went home. Customer returned with the fire brigade putting out the house.............. the house was burnt to the ground.

A fitting in the eaves is a potential burst fitting in the eaves, a solderd/bent pipe in the eaves is a potential burst pipe in the eaves.

i kinda realised that after i typed it, but as i've been a plumber for 32yrs and not an English teacher i couldn't be ars*d changing it:p

About 2 years ago a plumber and his mate were finishing off some work on a renovation/extention down in Torquay. They had all the kit, moved flammable materials away etc but on lighting the blow torch, the super dooper insulation space tested etc specified by the owner caught fire immediately and spread quickly throughout the roofspace. 2 fire extinguishers failed to knock down the flames and the plumbers only just got out in time.

Turns out when the fire brigade inspected the insulation that it contained a flammable vapour that was trapped in the insulation!!! All it took was a plumber and a flame and the rebuild costs were going to be well over £1 million!!!

WORTH TESTING TO SEE IF INSULATION IS FLAMMABLE, I DO NOW AFTER SEEING THE FIRE ON THE LOCAL NEWS.

hot works in any situation is interesting.
any hot works ticket issued states many things.
anything combustible within 15metres is removed if possible
anything non removeable is covereverd in fire proof material
fire extinguisher within 1 metre of works
all works to be re-inspected 1 hour of finished soldering
many other rules. these are the main ones !!

use an electric soldering iron and and yorkshires, or the squeezed ring type comp joints (v expensive) or to be extra safe hang it all below on the ceiling, very modern look!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to burning question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock