Discuss Bubbling in cold water tank. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kels

Hi, my cold water tank in loft flooded last week (in cold weather) sending water into the airing cupboard and spare room :mad:. I called a plumber who looked at the tank and said nothing was wrong and to keep an eye on it!:rolleyes: Now at night I can hear a bubbling noise (like air bubbles) coming from the tank for a few seconds in the evening/night. Everything else seems fine though, perhaps I am being paranoyed! Any ideas anyone?

Why did the tank flood?

Sounds like something is wrong if you keep hearing bubbles every few seconds.

What is your boiler?

Hi, the plumber didn't know why it flooded, 'something may have frozen in the cold'!
The bubbling noises are only 1-3 times an evening and last for a few seconds.
My boiler is a VokeraMynute 20e. As far as I know it's working fine, heating and water same as usual, no hot water in cold tap etc! Thanks.

sorry just to clarify are sure it was the cold water tank ? u should have two tanks in the loft a big one which is the cold water tank and a smaller one which is your f+e tank for your heating unless ur heating is pressurised ,

a possible problem could be the ball valve letting by and the overflow being frozen giving the water nowhere to go therefore coming over the top of the tank.

or it could be ur heating system pumping over which could be the bubbling your hearing and the overflow being frozen on that also giving the water no other choice but to come over the top of the tank

As far as I know there is only one tank in the loft, which feeds the hot water tank on landing and boiler.
If it is that the heating boiling over should I get someone in to look at it? The pressure on the boiler is never the same and drops to .5 when turned off.

Seems strange you say you only have one tank?

If thats the case it would be ideal to ascertain where the bubbles are coming from, which vent pipe

It is possible that you HW tank has a faulty theremostat, it should be set at abot 55 degrees, any chance you can measure the temp of water from a hot tap?

I've been told that i have a 'sealed system' which doesn't have a feed and expansion tank. Have turned the thermostat down and will look into buying a thermometer! Don't fancy waiting in the loft one night to see where noise is coming from! Thanks.

If your boiler pressure gauge is 0.5 it is too low. Add more water via the filling loop to top it up to 1.0. When you top up the boiler, bleed all the radiators and any other bleed points (there will probably be one by the cylinder), then check the pressure again.

NB Pressure will rise and fall as water expands when it gets hot.

Are you sure the bubbles are in the tank and not just noise being transmitted down the pipework?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bubbling in cold water tank. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock