Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas - 3 port valve sticking - power flush? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mother in law used British Gas to install her Worcester Greenstar 12 Ri boiler back in 2007!!! She also has a service contract with them at £38 a month!!!!! 3 years ago the 3 port valve was replaced. Each year it still stops working. So she calls them out and they say it's all working again I have greased up the valve.
It failed again, so out the came and freed it. All radiators are now hot and everything seems to be fine apart from the yearly sticky 3 port valve.

The chap from BG is saying that they will not cover her system for various things unless she pays £600 for a power flush!

Do you think power flushing for a sticking 3 port valve is reasonable?

Personally I think she should get a decent independent in to replace the 3 port valve and give the system a good check over and then schedule a yearly service.

What do you think?

I would be asking why the system needs flushing !
If they installed it 9 years back surely they cleaned the system out and dosed it with inhibitor

Get a local recommended heating engineer to replace the 3 port valve with a decent quality one & stick with him for servicing & maintenance.
Also worth getting a system filter fitted to protect the boiler, your Mother-in-Law will still get change out of her yearly payments to BG.

BG's prices are a real rip off.
In my opinion the power flushing they are always trying to push is nothing short of a scam. I can count on one hand the number of systems I have come across that really need power flushing yet BG try to push it on everyone.

As above and also I would advise sticking the £38 per month in bank ready for when you need your local friendly heating engineer. It will go a lot further.

In my opinion

Dump the contract. Not worth the paper it's written on, they always try and wriggle out of things or try and sell unnecessary procedures. Much better off with a small local independent

Thanks very much. I will pass on the message to get a good independent to her. I thought BG were taking the mickey.

Thanks very much.

If they have maintained the system under their contract since the boiler install then I would be insistent that they fix it and any sludge in the system is down to them as they have been servicing and maintaining it. No one else would have worked on it in that time. Once they have fixed it, ditch them and source a local engineer/company to look after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas - 3 port valve sticking - power flush? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock