Search the forum,

Discuss Brand new ecoflam, horrendous noise in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone any idea what this noise is, flaming thing is new straight out of the box. Thanks.

Has it been installed and set up by a heating engineer who works on oil burners?

I installed myself and had an engineer out yday who couldn't get it to fire either but said it was all connected up properly and should fire straightout of the box.

I tried it this morning on the off chance, and it fired with the resulting unhealthy noise.

When new burners are installed, they need to be set up to match the combustion chamber they are firing into.
There are a number of checks/adjustments that may need to be made during commissioning.

I suggest you get a qualified and experienced oil engineer to commission it for you.

It fired perfectly just like the old one was, it's just the noise in the unit is the problem. That engineer told me that they don't need fettled with and will operate perfectly fine out of the box and then, if needed, they can be fine tuned.

Any idea at all on the noise, bearing or pump spindle etc? Cheers.

It fired perfectly just like the old one was, it's just the noise in the unit is the problem. That engineer told me that they don't need fettled with and will operate perfectly fine out of the box and then, if needed, they can be fine tuned.

Any idea at all on the noise, bearing or pump spindle etc? Cheers.
I disagree with the out of the box idea. Everything needs to be commissioned. These burners are not just made for one appliance. All appliances have their differences, the flue is just one of those.
It needs to be commissioned properly so that you 'know' the combustion and flame are correct inside your appliance.

My advice is to turn it off and get a qualified engineer out to set it up properly for you. If the thing has a fault it should be returned whilst in warranty. There is no point trying to repair a new burner.

Not sure you're catching me. It fired a perfect flame and would have continued to, whilst I recorded that sound, I stopped it immediately and it won't be running again.

It's nothing to do with commissioning etc, it's that noise I'm looking to identify. The retailer is being useless about it and insisted Ecoflam rep will have to look into it before he'd act on anything, that isn't going to get me heat in the near future so looking to know if it's a pump or bearing etc and I'll swallow the cost just to get heat in the house. I'm fairly competent in replacing parts on cars, putting on domestic rads, water pumps etc, and I also serviced the last burner we had with nozzle, control box, capacitor and electrodes

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you're catching me. It fired a perfect flame and would have continued to, whilst I recorded that sound, I stopped it immediately and it won't be running again.

It's nothing to do with commissioning etc, it's that noise I'm looking to identify. The retailer is being useless about it and insisted Ecoflam rep will have to look into it before he'd act on anything, that isn't going to get me heat in the near future so looking to know if it's a pump or bearing etc and I'll swallow the cost just to get heat in the house. I'm fairly competent in replacing parts on cars, putting on domestic rads, water pumps etc, and I also serviced the last burner we had with nozzle, control box, capacitor and electrodes
I am catching you.

What I am saying is, if this had been supplied and installed by a qualified engineer any problems you have now, wouldn't be problems. They either wouldn't exist or they would be dealt with quickly under the warranty provided by the installer and the manufacturer combined.

The noise is hard to identify off the video sound.

Please get someone out to it. They can be dangerous if not installed correctly and they can fail/become faulty if not installed correctly.

To me that sounds like something at high speed catching something stationary.
The most likely is a fan impellor catching something, it's backplate or something in front of it.

It could be something as simple as piece of packaging trapped near the fan or a screw that's too long catching it.

But as others, whatever it is, the burner will need setting up to the combustion chamber it's fitted to.

The supplier / manufacturer would want specific information on the fault, not just it's making a noise.

I am catching you.

What I am saying is, if this had been supplied and installed by a qualified engineer any problems you have now, wouldn't be problems. They either wouldn't exist or they would be dealt with quickly under the warranty provided by the installer and the manufacturer combined.

The noise is hard to identify off the video sound.

Please get someone out to it. They can be dangerous if not installed correctly and they can fail/become faulty if not installed correctly.

To me that sounds like something at high speed catching something stationary.
The most likely is a fan impellor catching something, it's backplate or something in front of it.

It could be something as simple as piece of packaging trapped near the fan or a screw that's too long catching it.

But as others, whatever it is, the burner will need setting up to the combustion chamber it's fitted to
I literally just got hold of another guy on the phone that works directly with these, sent him the vid and that's what he thinks is the problem also, fan blade. He's coming out in a few hours time. I thought it was def something rotational and was worried the pump was shot. Fingers crossed!
It's so difficult getting someone in IRE to look at these burners, 6 guys shot me down point blank, saying they're too much trouble and apar Stanley reps have the market completely cornered and charge stupid money for 30mins work.

There isnt an oil bloke on the planet would have had a look at that with it making that racket.

Let's cut to the chase, you've diy'd it and are now stumped.

It's a really easy fix to stop the noise. A little bit more complicated to commission it for the appliance it is in. Especially as it will take oil gauge and a flue gas analyser.

It's an oil combustion appliance and for the uninitiated it will kill you just as easy as a gas or other combustion appliance that is being tinkered with by somebody who thinks they know what they are doing.

It needs a competent engineer with the right tools and experience and for that they can charge what you call silly money.

There isnt an oil bloke on the planet would have had a look at that with it making that racket.

Let's cut to the chase, you've diy'd it and are now stumped.

It's a really easy fix to stop the noise. A little bit more complicated to commission it for the appliance it is in. Especially as it will take oil gauge and a flue gas analyser.

It's an oil combustion appliance and for the uninitiated it will kill you just as easy as a gas or other combustion appliance that is being tinkered with by somebody who thinks they know what they are doing.

It needs a competent engineer with the right tools and experience and for that they can charge what you call silly money.

Op going on a rant for being in the wrong

op going on a rant for being in the wrong

4 times you've had the advice it needs setting up, yet you seem to think different. Firing from the box and running safely are completely different.

The best part is it probably didnt need a new burner, just somebody to look at it that new what they where doing.

4 times you've had the advice it needs setting up, yet you seem to think different. Firing from the box and running safely are completely different.

The best part is it probably didnt need a new burner, just somebody to look at it that new what they where doing.
Is that right then? So the parts required to refurbish the old 20yr old burner were topping 400 and a new burner with complete peace of mind 550, I can afford the 150.

FYI its just been reassembled and commissioned in 30mins, eng said he didn't know how it got past QC, parts were over/under tightened to it but sure you just keep being Mr Shouty 'I know everything and everyone else is thick'
Thanks to those who helped

Is that right then? So the parts required to refurbish the old 20yr old burner were topping 400 and a new burner with complete peace of mind 550, I can afford the 150.

FYI its just been reassembled and commissioned in 30mins, eng said he didn't know how it got past QC, parts were over/under tightened to it but sure you just keep being Mr Shouty 'I know everything and everyone else is thick'

Thanks to those who helped

You probably goosed it in your failed attempt to fit it.

550 for a new burner 🤣🤣. I hope they used lube.

If merely pointing things out for your own safety makes me a gobshite then so be it.

If merely pointing things out for your own safety makes me a gobshite then so be it.
Hi Simon,

I think there are two issues here. One is that it should have worked without making that racket out of the box. Two is that it needed a competent installer to install and commission properly. Both points can be true without invalidating the other point.

Between post 3 and post 5, the OP changes the story, leaving us all a bit confused as whether it won't even fire whether or it fired perfectly. I can't blame you for jumping to the conclusion that the OP was mistaken to say there was a competent installer present at some point (who could, surely, have at least identified the noise). Either way, your point was that there was no need to try to tell the OP how to sort out whatever that noise was when he already needed an installer to commission correctly, if only because the installer would have the calibrated tools to be able to do so. I respect that decision because we quite honestly, morally, have to assume forum members are stupid. No one on here suggested it shouldn't fire with factory settings, they said it should be checked. The OP seemingly failed to grasp this distinction. The OP was giving no indication of wanting to wait for a competent installer, so my guess is that if he got it going and it worked, that would do.

I can't say I entirely blame the OP for his 'if it works, it works' attitude. They seem to take that approach in Italy. One difference: oil boilers installed in Italy since 1972 are always (?) installed with no access to the inside of the house in a boiler room with external door ONLY, making them inherently safer. Most old oil boilers won't meet current standards and there are no grandfather rights - so they will simply be running illegally. As they simply cannot be certified as being in safe condition, it is almost impossible to get anyone to service them, so it is doubtful whether any oil boilers still in use Italy are installed internally.

I will try to remember to refer to you as 'Mr Shouty' in future, assuming you have no objection?

Toys thrown out of the pram

You really are a stupid moron, post up your link for a Minor 1 SS2 for 330 then you tosser?

Yeah, that's shut you up

Op please watch your language also have a read of the forum rules again

Ta

You really are a stupid moron, post up your link for a Minor 1 SS2 for 330 then you tosser?

Yeah, that's shut you up

You probably couldn't see it as you're not trade.

You've been well and truly shafted 🤣🤣🤣👍 did they get you flowers and a drink first

Made my day when I saw the price.

Billy Big Ballocks out. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Different country, try again bellend. Good job you're not a spark, you'd be damp one. Obviously I'm not trade. Good luck now, you're a whole different IQ spectrum of your own.

Different country, try again bellend. Good job you're not a spark, you'd be damp one. Obviously I'm not trade. Good luck now, you're a whole different IQ spectrum of your own.

Different country???

Are you on this planet or just visiting from the looney bin.

Then again I've seen people in a vegative state more responsive than you.

At least you're warm now. Paid a pretty penny, but warm 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Different country???

Are you on this planet or just visiting from the looney bin.

Then again I've seen people in a vegative state more responsive than you.

At least you're warm now. Paid a pretty penny, but warm 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oh come on, Mr Shouty, he may be from EIRE, so possibly paying customs duty if it's coming from the UK?

@Dec2506 Where did you get this burner, out of interest? And are we talking £ or €?

Just to be clear this saga has been going for several days on a different forum. Op has been shouting swearing and been generally unpleasant to anyone who dare pass the opinion that burner needed to be commissioned .
At end of day that's exactly what had to be done!

Just to be clear this saga has been going for several days on a different forum. Op has been shouting swearing and been generally unpleasant to anyone who dare pass the opinion that burner needed to be commissioned .
At end of day that's exactly what had to be done!

That explains the 550, somebody added on T.W.A.T. tax 🤣🤣🤣

* …………….. Thread close d ……………. *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brand new ecoflam, horrendous noise in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock