Discuss Boiler Servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OFTEC

Does anyone have any idea of roughly how much money could potentially be made from boiler servicing and maintenance in a year but not doing any other sort of work if a person has done Oftec courses?

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Services would be at £35 - nozzle cost fuel etc, so would take a hell of a lot of services.
Perhaps it is better lefta as an add on to the plumbers work.

croppie thanks for all your help, will probably see you at the training centre

its going to be difficult in the start up in boiler servicing the good thing is that i have a secure job at the minute so at least if im only doing a couple of boiler services a week at the start i still have a gd wage coming in and can build up my customers without the worrys of a secure wage etc.

£35 for a service? When starting you'll be taking around 3½ hours per boiler so that'll be about £10 an hour. And two a day is £70 for the day's work.

OFTEC qualified people I know are usually Gassafe as well and do boiler servicing as part of general plumbing services. Very few purely boiler servicing companies where I live (loads of oil boilers around here) - only one I know has been in the business for over 15 years and even he does plumbing "on the side". He probably services around 3-4 a day now and has a huge customer base.

I'm not saying don't do this at all - just trying to open your eyes a little into the realities of taking OFTEC exams then shooting off and making £20k in your first year. Much as I hope it happens for you, I doubt it will in real life.

i totally agree im a fully qualifed plumber now, just taking my OFTEC exams tomorrow - all week, i am going to do boiler servicing and repairs in the evening and weekends
think for the best this way until such times i have a good customer base and more experience and then maybe think of becoming self employed, will do plumbing aswell.

i called around just to see what others are charging for a oil boiler service they charge £40 + any parts all services require a nozzle so thats £10 total £50

thats what i would expect to charge but may go a bit lower to get some business at the start, would you>?

basic gas service, £55, niceand clean no oily hands doing an oil service, dirty job, takes longer and your charging £40 plus parts, which equals bancrupt this time next year. take a reality check soon old son or you wont be working for long. ps N Devon is one of the poorestareas of the country and the custards are on low wages normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - I charge £95 inclusive (nozzle, line, labour, call out, etc) for a service. If parts are needed (e.g. new oil isolation valve or hydraulic jack) then this costs extra. No complaints yet, even from those asking how much I charge.

I feel that I'm an OFTEC qualified technician. I've paid good money for proper training. I keep myself up to date with developments, pay for insurance, retrain every five years, keep strictly to OFTEC standards, spend time with customers explaining what I do when servicing, etc and give a decent report.

I give as good a service as can be expected and charge accordingly.

i live in the sticks too, and know what people are like, and in this climate/ reccession etc etc, the last thing people what to do is service a boiler (no money)

Hmmm - I charge £95 inclusive (nozzle, line, labour, call out, etc) for a service. If parts are needed (e.g. new oil isolation valve or hydraulic jack) then this costs extra. No complaints yet, even from those asking how much I charge.

I feel that I'm an OFTEC qualified technician. I've paid good money for proper training. I keep myself up to date with developments, pay for insurance, retrain every five years, keep strictly to OFTEC standards, spend time with customers explaining what I do when servicing, etc and give a decent report.

I give as good a service as can be expected and charge accordingly.

I know in Northern ireland you would get £95 a service, but i plan to give the service you do, as many here dont they just change nozzle hoover and walk out, i plan to do it the right way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking 35 includeing nozzle then any other parts over and above for the service, bit would even expect to make over 9-10K a year in first year or two.

I was thinking around about the same for start up boiler servicing costs.

around £35-£40 + any parts(including nozzle)
a nozzle is around £10 is if your only charging £35 thats only £25 per service, it wouldnt be worth it, if they werent in the same street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock