Currently reading:
Boiler Servicing

Discuss Boiler Servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OFTEC

Does anyone have any idea of roughly how much money could potentially be made from boiler servicing and maintenance in a year but not doing any other sort of work if a person has done Oftec courses?

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Mark, when you're at ccts tomorrow look out for a short round balding grumpy looking english man. That'll be me!

No offense intended but it seems some folk work for pennies

To go to a job and do any work however small for 35, 45 ,55 quid seems absolutely pointless

my opinion only of course

i have to agree with you there, after all the training and equipment etc you have to buy then only getting £40-£50 per service and hopeing to get 4 + per day

i think personnally that the oil service profession in northern ireland is full of plumbers and cowboys that do it just to make a quick £ by hovering the boiler out and sometimes changing the nozzle and walking out a getting £40

if you do it right with checking flue pressure, smoke pump, flue anaylsis and you still get £40 OFTEC i think needs to be more strict.

will look out for you tomorrow croppie, im the young fella driving a white volkswagen caddy, would like to have a chat, it went ok today i never service or commission just install and bring someone in, its all new and it was a very interesting day.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking of completing my oftec courses 101, 105a and 600a in the near future, do any of you who did it, is it worth the lay out been quoted £1200 for the course CCTS belfast,

i was thinking of completing my oftec courses 101, 105a and 600a in the near future, do any of you who did it, is it worth the lay out been quoted £1200 for the course CCTS belfast,

Paulio. First of all welcome to the forums

It's often been said you get what you pay for, I've been to a few training establishments in NI and I can honestly say you get your money's worth from Gerry.

£1,200 is for the courses. Then there's the registration which I think is around £800 for 5 years (payable up front?). Then there's the cost of a flue gas analyzer (around £500) then there's the calibration costs (say £100 a year) then there's a requirement for public liability insurance to be OFTEC qualified (around £350).

Also the cost of oil pressure gauge, smoke pump, spanners, allen keys, nozzles, flexible oil lines, etc. To get yourself going you're looking at a cost of around £3,000 for five years (when you have to retrain, and re-register.)

You'll be looking at say £50-£120 for an oil service, depending on your local market and it takes many of these to cover the initial costs and start to make a profit, but installing a new boiler makes you more money so it's not too great a hit after a year or so.

When I told my local inspector that I make a loss in my first qualified year by being an OFTEC chappie he was surprised and offended. The reason I am qualified is I didn't want customers phoning me up and saying "My heating doesn't work" and with me having to send them to another competitor.

Now, with hindsight and experience, it's one of the best things I ever did in my plumbing career.

£35 is very cheap I wouldnt service a boiler for that and I dont know anyone over here that would,I dont know how you can make any money.
By the way you dont have to be oftec registered you have to do the training and then you have to be a member of a competent persons scheme of which there are about 5 one of which is NAPIT. They are actually cheaper because you can notify any plumbing work that needs signing off including unvented cylinders all in the one registration fee, OFTEC charge you extra for all those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back