Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler service query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning everyone,

I have a Vokera gas combi boiler which will be 2 years old this month and had it serviced last year. The engineer was great he took 8 minutes to service it as it was only a year old last year.
My question is do gas combi boilers need to be serviced every year and what does a service include as I have no idea what is meant to be checked and can an engineer check the water pressure?
The boiler has a 5 year warranty on it and I am assuming for the warranty to be valid it has to be serviced every year.

Thank you and any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry 3 minutes was a typo, it was 8 minutes because I put food in the microwave for 8 minutes which is how I remembered the timing. Now I am wondering how long should it take?

Let’s use the car analogy:
  • Do you think a car can be “serviced” in 8 minutes?
  • Would you be happy at 8 minutes?
  • Do you think a car should be serviced annually, or just when you think it’s time to do so?
  • Would you expect a mechanic (engineer reference) to check any fluid levels?
You’ve had what’s known in the industry as a poke and go, which is fine if the manufacturer allows this. Basically it’s putting the analyser in to check it’s got the correct readings (using the car analogy again - they check the exhaust emissions).

I’ll leave it there for now, for you to gather thoughts and answers.

It does say in the instructions must be left 10 mins on high fire before any readings are taken

If I’m pushing I can do one in 30 mins

Did he clean the condense trap out ?

Do you think these checks could be done in 8 minutes ? And that's not a full service . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-151355.png
    Screenshot_20210911-151355.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210911-151412.png
    Screenshot_20210911-151412.png
    384.8 KB · Views: 17
Do you think these checks could be done in 8 minutes ? And that's not a full service . Kop
Oh wow I had no idea about what was entailed in a boiler service, I didn't get a report or any paperwork, he just signed the boiler booklet.
I did get a message from the engineer reminding me that a service is due, no offence to him but I will go with someone else this time.
I feel daft for paying £60 for something I felt was a professional service, anyway lesson learned I will do my homework before booking someone else.

Thank you all for your advice

Apart from anything else a Vokera only fires at 75% output for 15 minutes after each start up, maybe possible to override for servicing purposes.

I suppose if the person testing originally carried out the installation and knows the system and finds the boiler evidently as he originally installed it, then all he needs to look at is its current state, not was it installed correctly. So I suppose, if the manufacturer requires only an emissions test and nothing else so long as it passes, then it's fine. It's a manufacturer's service not a gas safety inspection and the installer has done what the manufacturer requires. But if what Shaun and John say is correct, then he has not followed manufacturer's specifications, has he?

I'm always of the opinion that while it's fine to charge a customer x much for the first hour, rushing out when you could be thorough is poor.

What happened to the proposal to require an annual inhibitor test? Did that law ever come into play?

I suppose if the person testing originally carried out the installation and knows the system and finds the boiler evidently as he originally installed it, then all he needs to look at is its current state, not was it installed correctly. So I suppose, if the manufacturer requires only an emissions test and nothing else so long as it passes, then it's fine. It's a manufacturer's service not a gas safety inspection and the installer has done what the manufacturer requires. But if what Shaun and John say is correct, then he has not followed manufacturer's specifications, has he?

I'm always of the opinion that while it's fine to charge a customer x much for the first hour, rushing out when you could be thorough is poor.

What happened to the proposal to require an annual inhibitor test? Did that law ever come into play?
It’s a British standard not sure if the number

Reply to Boiler service query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just had a new worcester bosch. 1000 combi boiler to replace 18yr old vokera. No problems with new boiler. Enquiring about yearly maintenance / safety check and service i £19.00. per month, £228 one off yearly payment. It includes parts and labour if needed. As new boiler is under warranty...
Replies
Views
G
I recently had a service on my worcester bosch boiler by Warmserve supposedly reputable which is under guarantee and before the service I had no problems but straight after the service I had a leak from the boiler which when the service engineer came back told me I needed a new condensate trap...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked the system pressure at 1.5bar and the relief valve but the noise persists unless a hot water tap in the house is opened then it stops for a period of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock