Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler scrappage - Good news for plumbers & gas fitters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

365drills

Report in full

More than 100,000 ageing British boilers will be scrapped and exchanged for newer, more energy-efficient models, under £50 million plans unveiled by the Chancellor.

The scheme, similar to the car scrappage programme launched last April, was contained in today's Pre-Budget Report.

It will offer grants worth up to £400 for 125,000 households with old, inefficient boiler models to replace them with new, energy-saving equipment.

There are 4.5 million households that could apply for this.
By replacing an older boiler with a new, top-rated condensing boiler and better controls, household bills can be cut by up to a quarter, according to the Energy Saving Trust (EST). In a family home, that could mean a saving of £235 a year.

Gas boilers also account for 60 per cent of the carbon emissions from an average gas-heated home and the scheme could save 1.26 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year for each affected home.
It will be open to households with so-called G-rated boilers, which are less than 70 per cent efficient, if they replace them with an A-rated boiler.
The programme is also expected to deliver a boost for British industry. About 60 per cent of boilers used in the UK are manufactured in this country and 120,000 boiler engineers will also benefit.

Many have been struggling because of a decline in orders that has resulted from the slowdown in the property market.
However, the scheme will have only a limited impact on the market for boiler replacement.
About 600,000 new condensing boilers are already installed every year in the UK without government support.

The idea for the boiler scrappage scheme

was initiated by Mick Williams, a plumber’s merchant in Hampshire. Mr Williams started the Reheat Britain campaign in July with a simple petition on the No 10 website, inspired by the Government's car scrappage scheme.
The Reheat Britain campaign has since attracted wide-ranging support from business, politics and the green movement, including the campaign manager, Sian Berry, the Green Party’s 2008 candidate for Mayor of London.

Mr Williams said: "It’s amazing to think that just six months ago, this was an idea from one plumber's merchant in Hampshire and soon up to 100,000 families will be benefiting from it. It just goes to show what can be achieved when you decide to get off your bum and make something happen.

"The best thing about the campaign is how business and the green movement came together to get it done. British business cares about environmental and social issues and is ready to use its knowhow to take these problems on."
Alistair Darling also announced that householders with wind turbines or solar panels on their homes who sell additional power back into the grid would receive an average of £900 a year under the “feed-in tariff” scheme, which starts in April — a payment that would be tax-free.
He announced an extra £200 million for domestic energy-efficieny programmes through measures such as insulation to support 75,000 households.

“We must all become more energy-efficient and cut emissions, as well as household bills,” he said.

Anyone got any idea what the efficiency is of an average condensing boiler that never
achieves condensing mode because of high return temperatures

Funny you should ask that Bob. Some people reckon many of those condensers already installed don't condense most of the time other than at start up.

Its a good idea and a step forward to have a scrappage scheme. But it needs closer technical scrutiny as to how effective it will be.

And lets be honest 100,000 boilers only? It ain't many spread all over the country.

i already offer 30per cent lower prices than BG and still cant find work so what good will this do for me

I don't know how they are going to work it.

But if they give it all to Warm Front that seems a bit unfair. They should have local centres who can give the work out to local contractors who want it.

Apparently according to the energy minister on TV recently, they have an internet based competitive tendering scheme now.

But how you get on it I have no idea.

its not what you know ,its who you know.this scheme will be boxed off by warmfront,who will sub it out again,one big fiddle

more ec bull

end of

cars

windows

boilers

white goods next (already doing it here ) :mad:

if you are not achieving the condensing point then there is a reason. boiler too large.....boiler stat too high......system not balanced right....... boiler too small.....

If we lived in germany we would have been trained right. But here is the good old uk where it's left to guess work.

Most UK so called 'heating engineers' cannot even spell weather compensation. Tragic.

According to a Treasury spokesman the boiler scrappage scheme will probably work the same way as the car scheme, i.e the retailer, not the installer, will claim the £400 allowance from the government.

I doubt if Warmfront will get involved.

Let's hope the installer does not have to carry the old cast iron boiler round to the merchants to prove it is eligible.

for 400quid im sure i could pay a minion to show the boiler to the pope if need be. i'm thinking of one right now as it happens.

Potterton 85,000 BTU standard Boiler.

Bought it in 2002 ( seven years ago )

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/boiler.jpg

Fitted up into to the loft area.

Paid £4000 for everything to be rehoused from the kitchen up into the loft and that included a buget of £700 for the actual boiler.

Question: Would taking part in this scheme and removing and "upgrading" to a condensing boiler save me any money on a gas bill of £1200 per annum.

The Suprima 80L does not qualify as it is a Band D boiler and the scheme only applies to Band G or worse.

Your boiler is approx 80% efficient. You need to look elsewhere for the cause of you large gas bill.

Thanks Its good to know my boiler is 80% efficient.

At least its not the worst offender. I wont be taking it out or taking part in any schemes.

I will let it have its lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler scrappage - Good news for plumbers & gas fitters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock