Discuss Boiler losing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

First time post so go easy, ive had an ongoing issue with my boiler loosing pressure, ive had boiker chexked over and they suggest its a fault with pipework, ive checked for ceiling staining and around all radiators however all dry and no obvious signs, weve tried fernox f4 leak sealer still to no avail, boiler pressure will drop every 3-4 days max depending on use, has even needed topping up after 24hrs, we are almost atbthe point of paying a leak detection company to come and check the system over, im concerned they may find nothing, so hoping yiubguys may have some tips i could try, i am an electrician by trade so have a good understanding just wodnering if i may of missed anything, so any advice on how you guys would approach this would be much appreciated

Hi Ben,
Is it a gas or oil fired boiler?
is the expansion vessel internal in the boiler or externally mounted.?
Any sign of water leak from the PRV (safety valve), this should'nt lift unless the boiler pressure reaches 3bar. (but could be leaking at any pressure).

Its a gas fired ideal logic+ 35kw, expanison tank is internal to boiler and has been checked, no water came from the schrader valve, ive become abit paranoid to be honest and constantly check the PRV pipe outside and its alwsys dry

Shouldn't really be looking inside boiler casing unless gas approved, if the EV has been precharged to 1bar and you have filled to 1.5 bar then you are losing ~ 2 litrs of water in a short time which points to a leak.
You could break the condensate pipe and see if its dripping/leaking with boiler shut down. After switching off/isolating you could fill the boiler to say 2bar when cold then shut the boiler flow and return valves and see if the pressure falls over a few hours, if so, then probably boiler Hx problem if valves are holding tight.

Id expect around that kind of age yes, we had the siphon changed a few years back as it had cracked another common issue i believe, can you tell me how To best check if this is happening presumbaly wster down condensate when boiler off

Turn the boiler iso valves off either side black 22mm leave 24 hours with no heating or hot water on eg turn boiler off

Shouldn’t drop below 1 if it’s around 2.2 now

Reply to Boiler losing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock