Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Issue / No Central Heating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We had a bathroom fitted on the ground floor over the past couple weeks, including a new wall hung radiator in there.

Unfortunately for both days since the completion the bathroom i've had an issue where the boiler is coming on but the radiators aren't getting warm. The boiler looks to be overheating and you can sort of hear it whooshing and sucking in air, I've added a video link below.

To give a slight account of the problems from the completion of the bathroom till now.

:- Yesterday the radiators wouldnt come on and in the evening I could hear water dripping on the ground floor (we have a crawl space beneath the suspended floor) I noticed one of the new pipes they'd added (T's off the main system they said from memory) had come a bit loose and was dropping water.

:- Today, the bathroom fitters returned to rectify that dropping water issue this morning and got the central heating working again too. We had it on for a good couple of hours, nice and toasty! Turned it off for a few hrs and turned back on about an hour ago, noticed the radiators werent getting warm again, could hear the boiler making more noise than usual, went up there and saw a puddle of water below it and as stated above, whooshing air sucking noises that you'll hear on the video linked.

I checked down under the suspended floor again but all the connections are nice tight and dry.

So at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. The fitters aren't gas certified and my cover with british gas can only come out about a week from now so not ideal, it is super cold and can't get the heating on so any advice and help really is hugely appreciated.

Based on the above and the video link, any thought suggestions for trouble shooting? Before they drained the system and this new radiator was added, ive never had a problem and i've lived here now for 3yrs. So thinking it must be related??

P.S excuse the foul language in the videos. Bit frustrated!

The pipe work in that video looks a mess. It could be a simple trapped air problem and looking at the boiler temperature numbers that would add up. Have you tried bleeding the radiators?
PS. Don’t worry about the language, we’ve all been there.

The pipe work in that video looks a mess. It could be a simple trapped air problem and looking at the boiler temperature numbers that would add up. Have you tried bleeding the radiators?
PS. Don’t worry about the language, we’ve all been there.
I know it's a mess though very much been a case of aint broke dont fix it.

Yeah the rads have been bled 3 times over now. Though i should mention, yesterday I had the boiler on for a good few hrs before I realised it wasnt heating up. That would've been ON when that pipe under the suspended floor was loose, if its been sucking in air could that have damaged the boiler?

As the rads have been bled a good few times now, is there a possibility that its sucking air in somewhere in the circulation? Is it odd that the fitters have got it working a couple times only for it to do this again later? Like they got rid of all the air by bleeding the rads, but then I leave it 4hrs, try again and the heating wont come on because there's more air in the system? or is that silly?

Also the fact the boiler is dropping water? could air lock cause that?

Turn all but the closet rad off via the trv to the boiler leave it run for 5 mins does that one heat up ? Bleed the rad before you move on If it does open the next one and repeat

Turn all but the closet rad off via the trv to the boiler leave it run for 5 mins does that one heat up ? Bleed the rad before you move on If it does open the next one and repeat
Will they run in any particular order or just do them based on distance from the boiler?

some of the ones downstairs frustratingly have really old TRV and need to be replaced will have to get that sorted before I follow your test.

I would do it on distance and spiral out

Or just turn all the good ones off and try that

The water leak needs to be sorted out first it will cause damage below if not check your filling loop or sometims on a Worcester it's a filling key that you lock and unlock then a square plastic knob type piece that you open to fill the system or to top the system up? The heating issue could be a few things trapped air being the most common one as it worked previously to the work being carried out , the system could have a slight blockage ? the pump could be stuck or air could be trapped in the heat exchanger, get your plumbers back again and get some inhibitor put back in the system ? If it holding 1.8 bar and not dropping then the heating side should be ok if it dropping then this will need addressing ? , Also turn your boiler temperature down to 50 - 60 degrees the 12 o'clock position on the fascia on the boiler while you have this problem the boiler will run for longer and hopefully not keep overheating.
? Kop

Last edited:

Reply to Boiler Issue / No Central Heating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock