Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler is louder when started? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My boiler was installed in July 2021. As my boiler is in garage, I didn't notice how it sounded when it started. A few weeks ago, when the boiler just started, by chance I went to garage looking for something, I heard the boiler was very loud! Much louder than when it is in operation for a while. I went to check the gas meter and found the meter ran very fast!

After maybe about 20mins (not sure exactly), I went back to garage to hear again, found the boiler became not loud, sounded normal as I heard it before---I went to garage many times after boiler started for a while, I know the normal sound of boiler in operation. And I checked the gas meter, the running speed became slow/normal too.

After that, some days later, I went to garage a few times to check the sound after boiler just started , no matter when CH or HW started, it is always louder & gas meter runs faster, after a while, not sure how long, normally after 15-20mins maybe, the boiler sound becomes normal and quieter, and the gas meter runs slowly.

Is this normal operation for boiler? i.e. when boiler starts it is louder & gas meter runs faster; after some time, the boiler becomes making normal sound, gas meter runs slow/normal?
My boiler is not Combi boiler, it is regular boiler with water tank upstairs (unvented system)

Thanks!

Yes it's normal.

----------------------------
Thank you for your reply!
I heard from one of my friends, he said he had a similar issue, he watched a video from Youtube that an engineer opened the central heating pump by screwdriver from front side, to bleed it i.e. water comes out from the pump, then use a small/narrow screw driver to turn the pump inside.
He followed that, and said since then the louder sound(when boiler started) gone.

Do you think to bleed the pump i.e. let water out will do something for the louder boiler (when it just starts)?
Pleas see this video:

But you said it is louder when boiler starts is normal. (I hope so certainly)

I am a bit confused.

It's quite normal for the boiler to fire up under maximum load and consume more gas initially until it modulates down and runs at a lower rate. It'll probably be a bit louder during that time however I don't want to encourage you to open up the boiler casing and undertake a DIY test or repair as per the youtube video.

If you can record and upload the noise that you think is excessively loud then I'd be happy to comment on it but if you're concerned get someone in.

It's quite normal for the boiler to fire up under maximum load and consume more gas initially until it modulates down and runs at a lower rate. It'll probably be a bit louder during that time however I don't want to encourage you to open up the boiler casing and undertake a DIY test or repair as per the youtube video.

If you can record and upload the noise that you think is excessively loud then I'd be happy to comment on it but if you're concerned get someone in.
Thanks for your reply again!
Your comments do make sense! I would very much willing to follow your opinion as I didn't want it a problem nor a trouble :)

I will record the different sounds in next few days!

Hi, as promised, today I went to garage to record the louder sound when boiler started and quieter sound when boiler been on for 1 hour, but on this forums it is not able to upload sound records unfortunately. I could only upload the videos for the gas meter running speed, as can see, the speed is different.

Also I stayed in front of boiler for nearly 20mins, the loud sound was still on, so I left--- this is too long, isn't it?
I came back after about 1 hours, and recorded the quieter sound and gas meter.

Attachments

• louder.mp4
    3.7 MB
  • quieter.mp4
    2.7 MB
I can hear the meter ticking over and some background banging which doesn't sound normal if it's coming from the boiler expecially as it's from a newish installation.

I'd get back the installers for a service and checkover.

I can hear the meter ticking over and some background banging which doesn't sound normal if it's coming from the boiler expecially as it's from a newish installation.

I'd get back the installers for a service and checkover.
Thank you for your comment! If you don't mind you may leave your email address so that I can send you the recorded sounds when the boiler started and when it was quieter.
The installer did not have a clue of many things of this boiler installation....After the installation there are many problems, e.g. didn't flush the system which results in all the brand new radiators top half hot & bottom half warm/cold; leaked water from radiators and boiler, wrong connect for external frost protection. boiler for HW never stop/constantly in action etc.
I will have to find a new engineer.

Reply to Boiler is louder when started? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock